Newbie question

matt
First what exactly is bi-wiring and second if you have a flat screen, but not hdtv (its a really nice flat screen, tube not projection) does progressive scan or component video do anything. I have component hook ups on my tv.

Visna Kuru
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/biwire/Page1.html

Progressive scan dvd player only looks its best on HDTV. Since you don't have an HDTV, the best thing you can do is hook up component video cables; and, if your tv supports it, calibrate your tv to be 16x9 enhanced.

Derek
Bi-wiring is running one pair of wires from one amp to the woofer section of a speaker and another pair of wires from THE SAME AMP to the tweater section of a speaker. I say "section" because the passive cross-over for the tweaker is still in use (usually the woofer too). This has the effect of moving the place where drivers meet to the back of the amp instead of the back of the speaker and it's been argued that it sounds better. It probably does because there is twice as much wire passing the amps' power. Simply using thicker wire does the same thing.

Having a second set of wires come from a SECOND amp, bypassing the speakers internal cross-over and using an external electonic cross-over is called biamping. This can also sound better because it keeps the intermodulation distortion and clipping from one amp away from the other driver. For example: If the woofers amp clips, the tweater would be uneffected and still play clean.

Component connections make colors look cleaner and with more detail. They also produce far less color / brightness interference or smearing. I am sure you have seen bad video where the color of an object is next to the object. A purple flower would look like a grey flower with purple colors on top but slightly moved to the right. Component connections also eliminate dot-crawl (S-VHS significantly reduces it) - watch the nightly news or bold red on white lettering. If you see what looks like small catapillar leg-like movements around the letters, that's dot crawl.

Progressive scan shows twice as many horizontal lines on the screen at any given time as compared to interlace video. The picture will at first look softer because interlaced video creates a lot of vertical edges but you will notice twice as much actually detail (fabric, conrete, water). The picture will also be a little easier on the eyes and look smoother because the screen is blinking 60 times a second instead of alternate pairs of 30 times a second. Also, if you look at an interlaced television and roll you eyes or head just right, you can see what looks like horizontal lines running up the screen. This can be very anoying on large projection TVs. Watching a blinking, edgy big screen TV in a dark room can realy tire you out.

Check to see if your TV accepts Progressive Scan signals (at least 480p - "p" for "P"rogressive) or a progresive input will simply make the display go blank.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us