Creating Home theater for $700 - Need your well experienced help...

Okay guys been trying to create the most ideal system for a 12X17 Living room for about $700 USD. First I just want some good quality sound for both DVD's, CD's, Mp3's, VCD's/SVCD's and videos.
So the story begins I don't have a DVD player but I prefer a 5 disc player with progressive scan. The DVD is optional right now not a must
Note the systems I am about to speak about I have never heard any of them I am going off others reviews in particular CNET (I know its dangerous but where I live I don't have that luxury)
I first reviewed the onkyo 650 system first everything was great until I started seeing a lot of complaints about the LFE problem. So decided that if I was to go with the Onkyo system I would change the receiver to maybe one of the following,
pioneer 41 elite,
pioneer vsx-811,
pioneer vsx 711,
pioneer vsx 712-812 (when released in march),
onkyo thx 600
Sony STRDE985/Sony STRDE 1085.
The Dolby EX - Dolby DS simulation is not all that critical a factor but receiver must support component video preferably 2 inputs.
Next I reviewed the pioneer 725dv system, but based on the cnet reviews for the pioneer 720dv which uses the same speakers its sounds as if the sound quality might not be so good, but for under $600 for a total system doesn't sound so bad (but if sound sucks terribly compared to the onkyo I would let it go)
Now I am not totally partial to the Onkyo sks 500 speakers only (due to the great cnet reviews) but if their are others that are good I would like your opinions, eg polk etc
I have a panasonic digital TV and it runs typically at a volume setting of between 20-26. I don't plan to be pumping this thing loudly on a regular basis as I live in an apartment complex but the sound (especially bass) needs to be clean for both movies and music CD's
I would appreciate any posts or emails on this I would like to buy the system by the end of March 2003.

Derek
A home theature for $700, huh? ...and you want component switching? Geeze!!!

Just to make your life simple, get a Home Theature In a Box. Sony, Onkyo, Panasonic, hell everybody makes them. Try a Panasonic since you already have a Panasonic TV. You might luck out and get a universal remote that'll run your TV. Make sure it has component out, that way you wont need switching, since one of the sources, the DVD, is already in the receiver. If you drop the component switching things are MUCH easier. Sherwood sells Dolby Digital receivers for as little as $150. HOLD ON! Here me out! That leaves $550 for speakers and a DVD. Philips and Panasonic sell Progrssive Scan 2:3 pull-down DVD players for $100 (I have a Phillips 724S and paid $100 at Best Buy), $130 for changers. That leaves about $400 for speakers. That leaves you with Energy, JBL, AR, Radio Shack 5.1 speaker systems. Give the Energy Take 5.1 or 5.2 a listen. There wont be anything that can touch this system for under $700. Maybey, drop the receiver and by a high-end Computer speaker system with decoder from Creative Labs/Cambridge Soundworks, Logitech or Klipsh.

Better yet, just get the HTIB.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us