Help with hookup please!

Tad
I've just purchased the Akai 5498 HDTV. I won't recieve it for about two weeks, leaving me plenty of time to get all necessities to make it work best with my current equipment.
With my Dish Network 501 Receiver, Pioneer VSX-D510 Surround Sound Receiver, and Philips DVD/VCR combo, what cables etc will I need for the best possible quality sound/picture? I really have no clue what I need or how to hook them up, so any help would be much appreciated.

Derek
I have had good luck with Monster and AR cables. They aren't too expensive and are easy to find

There are two ways to do this;

1. If your television has two or more video inputs: Connect your DVD to Video-1 (Super-VHS or Component) and connect your VCR to Video-2 (Super-VHS or Composite). Connect the VARIABLE audio out from the TV to the TV or Aux input of the the receiver of amplified speakers. The major advantage to this configuration is that it is very easy to use. Anyone coming to your home will be able to control channel, volume and source from your TVs remote. Slightly better picture because everything goes straight to the TV. The disadvantage - no [easy] Dolby Digital. Surround sound works though.

2. Connect the DVD and VCR (and other equipment) to a receiver that does video switching and only connect one cable (S-VHS, Component of Composite) to your TV. The advantage to this approach: Dolby Digital works. You can connect much more equipment. You can record from any source to any VCR including VCR to VCR. The television can be placed away from the other equipment since it is only a monitor at this point. Better sound over all since it does not have to pass through a wistling TV. The disadvantage: Complex to set up and unless you purchase and program a universal/learning remote, no one else will be able to use your system. Lots of wires too.

Tad
Thank You Derek!!!!!!!

I am thinking of buying a Hitachi 53" proj.HDTV (not wide screen) w/5 lens and hook it up w/ my dish network HD receiver. I have no ideal as to if salesmen are be trueful about needing wide screen or not. And what i need to hook unit up (monster cables) or not and warrantys extended 2 yr-4yr. Lost in all this new HDTV world any info to help put this old mind on the straight line brain is crossed. THANKS

Derek
You don't need a wide screen TV to watch widescreen sources. There will be black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but the picture should look fine. Most TV isn't wide screen anyway. You will be wasting some of your screen real estate though. I wouldn't worry about the cables until you hook the thing up. Cables can solve some minor problems and slightly improve the performance of your system. It drives audio and videophiles like me crazy but it doesn't prevent NORMAL people from enjoying the show.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us