Onkyo HT-S650 Subwoofer problem

Venkatesh Krishnasamy
I bought and installed the HT-S650 from CC and am AMAZED at it's performance.

However, I have a small issue with the Subwoofer. I hooked it to the receiver and plugged it into the power outlet. It immediately goes to the Standby mode as it should. But, when I pop in a DVD and turn on the receiver, the subwoofer still stays in Stand-by. It does not turn on.

If I unplug the subwoofer cable from the receiver and immediately plug it back in, it turns ON(the light becomes green and there is output). Obviously, I cannot keep doing this everytime I use my system.

I spoke to the Onkyo tech support and they ask me to take it to CC and return it for a new system. I hate to lug the system back to CC. I am pretty sure, this is a minor hiccup.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.

Cringer
Venkatesh,

I know that when the receiver's volume is low and there's not a lot of bass in the audio track of the movie, the subwoofer will not engage, but when there's more bass in the movie or when you turn up the volume, the bass will kick in.

You have to crank up that puppy to a respectable level and get the full effect of that movie. Turn it up to about 67 or 68 and see if that makes a difference.

Venkatesh Krishnasamy
Thanks a bunch for the responses folks.
The problem magically disappeared during the weekend.
I guess I inadvertantly did what Cringer asked me to do...pump the volume up....and it worked. Thanks again.
I watched "matrix" on it and the system simply rocks!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us