What to do??????

Mark
I am interetsed in purchasing a DVD player and surround sound system for my new Panasonic HDTV. I am trying to decide wether or not to go with the Onkyo 755 or 655 HTIB systems or buy a sepearte DVD player and the Onkyo 650 HTIB.

I am a little worried about the LFE issue I have been reading about here and assume this applies only to the 650?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Rob
The HT-S655DVC is the same as the HT-S650 except with a prog scan DVD player. So, you would still get the LFE problem. 755DVC is 6.1 dig sur sound. The problem with the 755DVC is: only 80W/ch, compared to 100W/ch on the HT-R500, and costs $500 more.

Mark
Would the difference in W/ch between the 2 be noticable and or what affect would this have??

thanks!

Rob
Well, the SKS-HT500 max out at 100W. So with the TX-SR600, you're missing out on 20W--you're not getting the maximum volume. But most people say the max vol is too loud, anyway. But the real question is, do you want 5.1 or 6.1?

Anonymous
Depending on the size of the room and/or how loud you need it, 80 watts might be fine. For example, if you live in an apartment, you don't need the extra juice. 6.1, however, can make a big difference. HOWEVER, you could save $500 bucks going with 5.1!

Man, that's confusing!

Mark
What do you all think of the Yamaha HTR 5560 reciever and the Yamaha C6480 DVD player? This is another option I am considering. Great reviews for both pieces of equipment. The only thing would be to pick out some worthy surround sound speakers and sub.

Feedback???

Thanks all!

Mark
anybody have opinions on Yamaha receivers? Also, a good speaker group for surround sound?

Thanks!

Anonymous
I suggest buying the HTS-650 then buying the Panasonic DVD-CP72, an excellent 5 disc progressive scan DVD player. IT plays all of the alphabet formats, including DVD-Audio and for only 229.99 (-30 mail-in rebate) you cant beat that!!

I have both and for about $750, my home theater system puts my brother $2,000+ system to shame!!

mike
Mark,

Yamaha receivers are excellent. If you are looking for DTS-ES discreet though you will have to look up at the 5590 or 1300. The 1300 actually has pre-outs for all channels and is the same retail price. However, the 5560 is an excellent receiver, but it only does DDEX, not DTS-ES.

I dont know how tight your budget is but an affordable little system that will "kick butt" would be pairing the Yamaha 5560, 5590, or 1300 with the Energy Take 5.1 or 5.2 speakers. They are the absolute best sounding bookshelf speakers for the money. By the way, I have a 5590 and the Energy take 5.2 myself and all I have to say is WOW!! You will not be dissapointed!

As far as going with a separate dvd player and amp, definately do that (seperates). HTIB packages are fine if you are on a really tight budget, but you will never get the same quality you will get with seperate components. Not to mention that if it breaks down on you, youre losing your whole system, not just one component.

Again, I dont know how tight your budget is but if you are willing to wait till mid May for a DVD player Pioneer is releasing a new model. It is the DV-563A and you wont believe this, but it is progressive scan, plays DVD-Audio, SACD's, MP3's, WMA's, and Image files like Jpegs!!! This ULTIMATE player is going to retail for $270 US. I am personally going replace my older Sony player with this one.

Let us know what you end up with!

-mike

Mark
Thanks all -

I actually already bought the Panasonic DVD-CP72 DVD player to go with my 53" Panasonic HDTV. I also was talked into getting the Monster power conditioner for $500. I havent noticed anything too earth shattering with the picture on the HDTV with this. I tried bypassing the Monster box and plugged directly into the digital cable box to see any difference and then .... plugged back into the Monster box and noticed nothing as far as picture quality. I assume it doesnt make much impact on picture quality? (Sorry, I am new to all this and trying to get up to date with my sound/video equipment.) Ultimate Electronics really pushed thie Monster box but I think I could have settled for a little less ($500)? Part of my issue is using cable. I need to sswitch to dish.

Been looking seriously at the Yamaha 1300 receiver and still trying to decide on the speakers.

Thanks Again!

Mark
Mike - Seems like everyone raves about those Energy Take 5.2 speakers out on the net!!!!!

I will have to look into this. Where did you buy yours and how much did you pay?

Thanks!!!!

mike
Well, I live in Vancouver, BC Canada so probably not much help to you there. I was able to get a "remanufactured" set at A&B Sound for 750 CAD (about $500 US) meaning that they work perfectly fine and have a full 5 year warranty but they are slightly scratched. I took mine home and was able to buff the scratches out! :)

When the first came out they retailed for $900 US for the set including the powered sub, but I'm positive you could get a set for much, much less now. Check out the link to Sound and Visions review below or ask anyone even semi-knowledgeable and they will tell you the energy Take speakers are just awesome. They literally sound like they cost three or four times more then they do!

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=259&page_number=4&preview=
good luck!
-mike

Mark
Thanks Mike

I will look into these. Most people I have mentioned these to, give the "huh?" response. They never heard of this line of speakers.

Sound like the best bang for the buck for what I want.

Anonymous
At this time all of the Onkyo systems have the defect.

mike
No problem Mark, let us know how it turns out!

Anon, what do you mean Onkyo systems have the defect?

Anonymous
I have those Energy 5.2 speakers with the sub that goes with it, They are terrific! Great midrange for a small speaker and also sound good with just music. You can't say that about alot of small speaker systems. By the way I power mine with the Onkyo 494 receiver with I love. IT has served me very well. Works great!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us