Coax video in, RCA out?

W.C. Epperson
I just bought Onkyo HT-S650 HTIB and a Kenwood DV-605 player. Current TV is an old Sony KV27TS20 with analog-only RCA inputs for video and sound--no S-video or component (I expect to buy an HD later in the year). When I connect the DVD via the digital coax to the receiver, and the receiver via the RCA "monitor out" to the RCA video input on the TV, I get no picture (sound is fine). I can't find anything that tells me definitively whether I should get a picture or not. I realize this is digital in--analog out I'm expecting, but that's what it's doing with the sound, right? BTW, I get picture using an analog-connected VCR.

The DVD is going back anyway--there's something loose moving around and rattling off the fan.

The digital coax out of the DVD into the reciever carries only audio information. You must connect the video as well.
You have two options, either connect the DVD player video out to the tv directly via a RCA or connect the DVD video out to the reciever DVD video in and then monitor out of the reciever to video in on the TV.
Both ways should work for you.
Scott

W.C. Epperson
Duh. Next question: how do you delete a posting here so fewer people find out how clueless you are?
;)

Being a network guy, I thought it all went across the digital coax. If you read the manual closely enough, there's a place where they describe it as digital audio coax, but it's not clear from the connection diagrams or the organization of the connections on the back of the receiver. But the Onkyo Web site connection diagrams show and describe the situation clearly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us