Archive through August 02, 2005

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
t and t, you need to read further up in this post and on this forum where it discusses the Bose "subwoofer". It is a passive speaker that would barely qualify in the true definition of a subwoofer. All the speaker wires have to run through it and it can be a real pain. As I have said before, the Super 8 is an awesome subwoofer and I couldn't be more pleased. I doubt you will find many articles or posts that say the same thing about the Bose.

Varit
Unregistered guest
t and t...there is no innovation in the acoustimass module. It is by far the most directional "bass module"/sub imaginable. It is meant to play much higher frequencies than the Orb sub or any other sub. Don't buy into the hype.

Bronze Member
Username: Nossus

CT

Post Number: 11
The super8 can be directional, but as others have noted, room shape and standing waves has an immense effect on sub frequency. I've recently rearranged my room and found placement much easier since I changed listening positions. In the previous arrangement it took a while before I was satisfied with the sub sound. I am picky about my bass.

That said, when the super8 has found its home in your room, the mod2's sound very clear and balanced.

I am using a Marantz sr7300 and am very pleased with the sound, but haven't heard the Denon, so I can't compare.

The Marantz replaced an older Yamaha surround sound receiver. It sounds noticably different than the Yamaha - more full and warm. The difference is not as detectable on the Orbs as it was on other speakers - at low volumes. When playing very loud, the Orbs on the Marantz were not edgey and treble emphasized as the Yamaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Hershon

Post Number: 29
Hi Barry Hi,

I think I might've posted this info on the other board where I've apparently gotten kicked off, LOL,
but I got my Denon 3801 for $450 including shipping as a But It Now Item on Ebay. It was advertised as used but in excellent condition with the instructions & the remote and as the seller had excellent feedback I bought it and its my best
investment on any electronic equipment. The sound with the HD DVD31 player is fantastic for CD's, DVD' setc. I've seen this sold for as low as $350 on Ebay but as it was a Buy it Now I was willing to dispense with the bidding BS (I'd say 25% of Ebay bids are shill bids anyway). As long as the seller has excellent feedback and he sells the receiver, remote & instruction book together and lists the quality as very good or above I'd buy it at that price. If the seller has low or iffy feedback, says he's sell it "as is", or uses the words "it powers on", I definately would stay away. While you don't get a warranty buying something like that new even if it somehow needs to be fixed in the future (I think warrantys are only good for a year or so anyway), you're out what $100- $150, so you've still bought a $1300 system with tax for $600 instead of $450.

Bronze Member
Username: Hershon

Post Number: 30
PS Hi Barry Hi This 3801 is on Ebay Right Now
Item 5776795111 The guy says its mint but I'd email him and doublecheck because his listing is badly written. If you get it you can unload the JVC in Ebay for around $100 -$135 or so. If you bid on it, only bid in the last 10 seconds. Alternatively, email the guy with your private email address and tell him you'd like to make him a good private offer for it & if he has any brains he'll listen. As I'm probably going to get another 3801 for my Orb bedroom set (the JVC RX DV31SL is still my receiver there)once I have some extra money I check Ebay regularly and usually the 3801 is listed a few times a week. Good luck

swillim
Unregistered guest
I have been following this post for a while and considering Orb speakers (Mod@ in front and Mod1 in rear). I would like to buy a receiver with two zone capability to power two outdoor speakers (also not yet purchased). Does anyone have any experience with the Harmon Kardon AXR 335 receiver with Orb speakers as well as experience with its dual zone capability? Thanks for your input.

Username: Rockfeller

Post Number: 7
I am planning to go with outlaw 1050,
Has anyone seen super eight crossover adjustment
an issue ?, In general is outlaw 1050 is good receiver to go with Orb, Any price tag for this.

Bronze Member
Username: Neuronerd

West Orange, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 26
Outlaw discontinued the 1050. I can recommend it, but you'll have to find used (like ebay or audiogon).

Outlaw also has B stock, although there present receiver/amps may still be out of range.

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
My Yamaha receiver has a fixed crossover at 90 hz, so Ethan said to set the sub's crossover at 160 hz. That is what I did and sub is working great.

Username: Rockfeller

Post Number: 8
Any opinions please on buying Customer Demo Denon receivers from ebay ?. I am looking at 3801/3/5 etc.

Jacky
Unregistered guest
Buying on ebay is all about the feedback of the person selling. Also, you probably won't have any warranty coverage...

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I finally hooked up the Outlaw sub. Was only $399 for b-stock. The black plexiglass top was not flush! Saved almost $200! I have a built in wall system with a subwoofer compartment. Its vented with carpet bottom. The Outlaw was important as it fires down, as do the dual ports! This makes placement a bit easier with no "boom".

This thing is a rock with a shipping weight of 70lbs. Its much larger than the super 8, but its out of sight and a big quality sub can make up for some placement issues and accustics. I still plan on getting an system with a super 8 as it seems to be only a $200 add on and can use it in another room.

Sub $1000 Recievers are quite generic these days. ITs very hard to fairly evaluate them unless you can audition them in your home with your speakers. Getting quality amplification without many useless bells and wistles is not easy.

My preference has always been to get seperates preamp/processer with amp but if I am going the orb route, then its about a quality ambience sound than hard critical listening.

NAD makes some nice recievers with good amplification and fewer extras.

The new outlaw 1070 receiver is sure to be a good value for the money. They claim it will be under $1000. The 1050 was a steal at $500 new! They got for almost that used!

The outlaws are similar to Orb as they are direct to customer. With high specs at a good price, they are value driven.

I have a new Onkyo 602 I paid only $250 which has a built in crossover and 6.1 running 75watts per channel. Running thru some M & K Sound small speakers with a HSU sub, its a nice sound. I wonder what the potential would be with a better amp, but price matters, and I am happy with it.

Thats the key, there is no "best" with audio components as its subjective to personal preference.

A good clean receiver with a good preamp can always be upgraded with running an external amp thru it!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
bargamon...
how does the Outlaw sub sound?

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I thing anynew sub is better then the old!

I did use the little HSU in the den for awhile and it was better than that limp 10 year old Cambridge one!

But it needed a lot of tweeking to keep it from booming. The specs on it and the Super 8 are similer. Granted, I am using the old ensemble sats in the den.

The outlas is a monster, 12 inch cone, and the ports are firing down. This is the reason I found it a must have for me. this design is easier to place and less boomy. It is very tight and thus far integrates very easy with my speakers. I have yet to tweek it, but there seems little to do.

Its not even broken in yet, maybe I have an hour on it so far. It shakes the house though, with no boom.

every review said it was a bargain at $579 and at $399 I just bought it with no thought. I will get orbs at some point in the next few months once the contractors are out of the house finally. The Sub sat in a box for 3 weeks until I was home enough to plug it in.

taking an old tired system and adding this sub really bought the sound back to life. I need to put a system in a new playroom with pool table and new sony lcd, but I have to decide whether it gets the cambride with the super 8 and I keep the orbs in the den with the new sub, or balls for every room in the house! The Game room is for the kids mostly, so Im keeping the orbs. We can always upgrade another day.

Those new copper orbs look great by the way! Anyone get them yet?

Anonymous

Anyone else notice that the Orb's have been re-priced!! More expensive now. Wonder why they changed their pricing. Anyone has more info?

bargamon
Unregistered guest
INFlATION

Another guess: Success! If they are selling well and the word is spreading, then why the hell not!

Still a value. I would imagine other speakers are also increasing in price.

Steel and labor costs rise, so why not?

Jacky
Unregistered guest
Steel prices are out of this world right now. Even their accessories are all steel. That has to hit the pocketbook at some point. I think they are still a great value and were somewhat underpriced compared to what else is in the price range. That being said, I'm glad I got mine already :-)

Anonymous

Actually, Jacky, it is possible for two Bose speakers to sound better than five Orbs. Have you heard of the Bose 3-2-1 system?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=2726&perfs ourceid=k15318&src=k15318

Go here to learn about it if you've never heard of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Bargamon...
Can't get the copper Orbs. Will be about three more weeks. I had to call because I'm changing the rears from white Mod 1's to steel Mod 2's. Also, eliminating the rear center, seems to serve no particular purpose.

As for Anonymous, are you kidding? First it is the Bose outdoor speakers, then the 3-2-1 system is better. Are these randomly chosen to elicit comment?

Jacky
Unregistered guest
That 3 2 1 system sounds awful...much better off getting a Classic Two from Orb (stereo satellites w/ sub) if you can't do surround sound. Forget about the tricks. Much better sub and satellites with much wider frequency response.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
neuro,

Don't discount the 6th middle channel. Its a pain in the butt to wire! In my den I really don't want put a speaker right on top of that important expensive painting I have!

I have seen many audiophile set ups where you take a speaker and just put it on the floor out of the way facing up for the 6th channel. Its really just for depth, but it makes a big diffeence.

M&K has little speakers for this effect. I have a 6.1 system in my home gym and I am amazed how much it contributes. I am running 4 surround sides for the 5th channel, but only one for the 6th. There are few rules here. I had the speakers and empty walls to run the wires. My den will be just 5.1 until next year when I get the new Outlaw reciever. 7.1 seems nice if you have a really big room. My 6th will be a hidden speaker on the floor next to the couch, or I will pull the couch out from the wall 5 inches and just keep it behind it.

3-2-1 I have heard it at bose, anda freinds house. I did consider it for the play room and not enter a whole wire project. It must be set up a certain way to even have a chance. The sweet spot is very small. Its not a bad deal and the simplicity is great. If your hanging out and geeking like we are here, your not likely to like the bose. I thought it was ok and serves a purpose, a big purpose in the market place!

II am still undecided about the orbs or new Sat system from Def tech which I can get at 20% over cost from friend. Two mid range and a tweeter in a pretty shiney aluminum case. I will keep my Outlaw sub regardless. Copper orbs will look so sweet in this room, but I gotta think the sound first! The Def Techs are rated nice, but review said not good at high loud levels.

How will I impress my 14 year old son?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I really didn't notice an advantage for the rear center, and wiring IS quite a pain.

The Bose 3-2-1 is a fine system for some applications. It is not comparable to the 5.1 Orbs. Or rather, if they sound the same there are other problems not related to the speakers themselves.

The Orbs may be an acquired taste, but there is no harm in trying them. From the Bose site, they have a similar 30 day refund.

How mush is the reduction on Def Tech? Must be considerable markup, because pricing doesn't seem to fit your bargain theme!

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
I have yet to do the pricing. Cost over runs (naturally) on house projects and pending family oversesas trip will delay my purchase. I got an LCD sony form this source that was 20% less than the best price I could get anywhere and no tax!

I will price them both out and see. The orbs intrigue me more.

Last nite I put on one of those stupid Vin Diesel "Triple xxx" action movie and the opening scene was a cross bow sound effect that came from the rear and it freaked me out! Just Startled me. I rewound it and it still startled me. On the third try I realized it originated from the rear, then the surounds, then up front. Given our discussion yesterday I was curious.

My source of discount is a high end retail and custom integrater and he claims 6.1 is significant for the money. 7.1 he claims has no real value over 6.1 unless your in a very large setting, or really going for a true acoustic type dedicated theatre. MY 6th channel is very small speaker, and for music it is really not apparent. But certain programing it really matters.

In reality, the surrounds are largely over rated on most programing and one must weigh the cost of time and expense for what is available. Two of my three systems will be just 5.1. I need to wire the game room and are faced with some challenges. But if 5 are going in, then I will prewire for the 6th for a future upgrade. In my den, it a question of running a new lead down the wall and under the house. As I said yesterday, I will sit a speaker on the floor, or elevate behind the couch.

See: http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/

and look at "whats new". They show a new series of floor models. I have 2 mp6's and a mp5 (center) as surrounds in my home gym. Two months ago they had the speakers 50% off from even current prices! I have 3 MP5's left over and am thinking of using them in the game room as surrounds to the Cambridge.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
I have yet to do the pricing. Cost over runs (naturally) on house projects and pending family oversesas trip will delay my purchase. I got an LCD sony form this source that was 20% less than the best price I could get anywhere and no tax!

Last nite I put on one of those stupid Vin Diesel "Triple xxx" action movie and the opening scene was a cross bow sound effect that came from the rear and it freaked me out! Just Startled me. I rewound it and it still startled me. On the third try I realized it originated from the rear, then the surounds, then up front. Given our discussion yesterday I was curious.

My source of discount is a high end retail and custom integrater and he claims 6.1 is significant for the money. 7.1 he claims has no real value over 6.1 unless your in a very large setting, or really going for a true acoustic type dedicated theatre. MY 6th channel is very small speaker, and for music it is really not apparent. But certain programing it really matters.

In reality, the surrounds are largely over rated on most programing and one must weigh the cost of time and expense for what is available. Two of my three systems will be just 5.1. I need to wire the game room and are faced with some challenges. But if 5 are going in, then I will prewire for the 6th for a future upgrade. In my den, it a question of running a new lead down the wall and under the house. As I said yesterday, I will sit a speaker on the floor, or elevate behind the couch.

and look at "whats new". They show a new series of floor models. I have 2 mp6's and a mp5 (center) as surrounds in my home gym. Two months ago they had the speakers 50% off from even current prices! I have 3 MP5's left over and am thinking of using them in the game room as surrounds to the Cambridge.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest

foamfoot
Unregistered guest
Hey Gang,

has anyone tried the Orb's with a tube amp? I just inherited a Tube Technology Unisis Signature, and I'm leaning towards the Orbs, just wanna make sure they'll be able to handle the tube amp..

Bronze Member

CT

Post Number: 12
I haven't tried the Orb's with a tube amp. I'd call the folks at Orb and I'm sure they will give you an honest opinion based on the brand and specs of the amp.

If you do try the orbs with the tube amp, post how it works. I've been interested in picking up a tube, but wasn't sure if the "tube sound" would come through on these sats.

Anonymous

I got some Mod2 Orbs and to be honest with you, I'm not convinced yet that they're better than Bose. You can get a Bose Lifestyle 28 for $1500, so the ORBs are NOT any cheaper than Bose. By the time you buy your own wire and set the receiver up, tweek all the million receiver settings, you could just plug and play the Bose Lifestyle and everything sounds great the first time without having to try 30 Dolby and DSP settings. The Orbs sound good, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as good as this message board suggests. It really does look like half of the users on this board are employees or ORB audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Like Bose, love Bose. Like Orbs, love Orbs. Hate either, or both. Do me a favor and convey your opinion without suggesting that I may be unethical. Or is the "half the users" a way of covering your bases?

By the way, at least the Bose 28 would be a fair comparison.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 61
Some people just become devotees after buying an audio product if they love it...me included. I don't know how you think the Bose sounds as good as the Orbs, almost as a matter of physics it can't be possible just b/c of the big difference in subwoofers in each system. But, to each their own. I also don't think the lifestyle 28 is $1500 from reputable dealers (with 30 day no questions asked/no restocking fee returns), and the receiver I bought to go w/ my Orb has the same auto setup that Bose has (almost all $250+ receivers do, now, it seems). If you would rather have a unit that has limited adjustments and inputs b/c you don't know what to do with them, fine, but it's not fair to call that design superior to a fully-featured unit, based on industry standards, that is compatible with all speakers.

Username: Ricari

Post Number: 1
I am new to this site. I recently gave a pair of mod1's a try after all the wonderful reviews. After listening for a month I have come to this conclusion on the Orb's. Impressive soundstage for it's size and very cabable small speaker, but at the end of the day I wanted something more. That is when I discovered the Anthony Gallo A'divas. I went to a local retailer and listened first to the Micro's which to me had a slight edge over the Orbs in sound and build quality. Then the A'divas. Much fuller and warmer than the Micro's and definetly more then the Orb's. The key to a great small speaker is not it's price or it's expected peformance, but it's ability to match and surpass the big boxes. The A'divas have reached that pinnacle. I will update after receiving the full 7 speakers and MPS 250 sub. No matter what you do to a Ford, it will never be a Ferrari. It is only one man's opinion.

bcamp
Unregistered guest
For those who are shopping - I received a set of Orb Audio Mod2's (5.1) three days ago. They really do sound great. I'm not (well, not yet) a big audiophile, however, I'm very satisfied with the sound from these speakers. They sound better than any of the Bose Lifestyle/Acoustimass 5.1 systems. 3 of my friends have the Bose Lifestyle 28, and another 2 have the Lifestyle 12s, so I have definitely heard the difference. I am using the recommended Pioneer VSX-815K receiver and it sounds fine. It takes a little while to calibrate everything, but it's great. If you're thinking about the VSX-815K, look at the 915K since it's got a learning remote. The pre-programmed one on the 815K doesn't have much for TV and DVR codes programmed in it. Anyway, I just wanted to give my 2 cents since you might be sitting the fence as to what to buy like I was. I used some Walmart $30 speaker stands that the Orbs connected to (not ideal, but cheaper than the $300 HOSS stands) for my surround speakers. I received my Orbs about a week and a half after ordering them. When you get them, make sure you don't start judging them until after the "break-in" period - as they do sound better after playing them for a while (at least 30 minutes). Hope this helps your decision.

For current owners: I have Mod2's for my two rear channels. Does anyone recommend taking them apart and using the four speakers separately to make 7.1?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I think it is going to depend a lot on the setup/size of your room and also what you are listening to. You can experiment w/ the 5.1 vs. 7.1 and put them back together if you don't like it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I finally hard wired the rear speakers -- the Kenwood wireless system was annoying. I also went to a Mod 2 for the rears. There is a real difference between Mod 1' and 2's. With Mod 2's all around, the sound for 5.1 is terrific and DVD-A sounds great.

I tried a 6.1 configuration, but the sound wasn't improved greatly. Could be my room or the difference isn't great.

As for the A'divas, are they in the same price range? I thought they were about twice the price.
Too late, and too rich for me.

Post Number: 2
The A'divas are twice the price as Mod1, but around the same for mod2 set up. This is a 5inch sphere. The Anthony Gallo micro's are 4inch and the Orb's mod1 are 4 3/16. Mod2 is 8 7/8. An A'diva is more descrete Than a Mod2 and had a more detailed sound then the orb's. It was designed to give a slighty lower frequency response. Mod2's has the same frequency response as the Mod1. The anthony Gallo reference 3's did not get speaker of the year 2004 for nothing. Also a another bargain in the world of Hifi. Buying direct does not mean your getting a great deal. They are slighty overpriced due to all the buzz on the internet. Do not take my word for it, go listen to them. Again only my opinion.

Post Number: 3
One more thing on the price of the A'divas. It comes with table stands,rubber rings for flat surfaces and a wall mounting bracket. You can also purchase ceiling ring mounts. Go to www.roundsound.com and take a look. The Orb's only come with table stands.

Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Glad you're happy with your purchase of the Gallos. I listened to both and one of the main reasons I bought the Orbs was the sub. I felt it was superior to the Gallo. I have Mod2's all around. I think the Mod2's give a richer, fuller sound than the Mod1's. Guess that's why they make more than one brand. And no, I don't work for Orb.

Bronze Member
Username: 95bcwh

Before I bought Orbs, I did audition the Gallos, and I have to agree with Mark that the Gallos' sub wasn't impressive at all.

With regards to Mod1 vs Mod2, I have two Mod1 as my rears and 3 Mod2 in front, I can definitely tell that the Mod2 sounds much nicer than the Mod1. I'm thinking of upgrading my Mod1..

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 9
I started with Mod1's in the rear, then upgraded to Mod2's. My rears are about 12 ft from the listening position and I was having to turn the rear volume up. Ethan said that any rear volume over 5 might cause a problem in home theater sound spikes, so I went ahead and changed to Mod2's. I can tell a difference and I can keep the rear volume flat, which is important since I listen to music in 5-channel stereo. I also think the Orbs have improved over the couple of months I have had them. I mainly use them for home theater, but we had some friends over last night and they wanted to hear some music, so we cranked them up pretty loud and I believe they sounded better than the last time I listened to loud music. Everyone was quite impressed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Barry...
I did and it's a big improvement. After chucking the wireless, I listened to the setup as Mod2 in front and center and Mod 1 in the rear. After all was balanced, the rears still sounded thin (played music (DVD-A and CD) then the Matrix). I then set up Mod 2 all around, it is big difference. I'm not sure if its physics, psychophysics or voodoo.

Driving the Mod 2 at 4 ohms while the Mod 1s are also at 4 ohm may be part, but the person I spoke to at Orb didn't think so. Second, the sound of the Mod2 seems more than a doubling (simple additive function). This still could be related to impedance and power -- that driven by greater power at 4 ohm gives a rounder sound. Given that these impressions were gathered in the family room, with part of the family patiently waiting to "just listen to the tv", i didn't do all combinations. For example it should be relatively easy to listen to mod 1s all around by taking the jumper out of line for parallel wiring. As all mod 1s, the ohms would be the same at 8 (have to also change the setting on the receiver).

All in all quite satisfied. One thing for sure, FEDEX is really going to hell in a handbasket. Once again, the shipment from ORB has been fractionated. This time delivering 2of3 and 3of3 without 1of3. Time to switch to UPS?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Man I've had some crappy luck w/ FedEx lately too...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
OOps...
Forgot to place an "i don't work for any of the companies involved" disclaimer on the last post.

bcamp
Unregistered guest
oooh, my Mod2's keep sounding better and better. Glad you guys convinced me to get them over the Bose. Seriously, you did. The sub is quite impressive...I think my neighbors might comment on it pretty soon, but they may have a different opinion. I don't work for Orb. Now, I just need a 42-50" LCD HDTV and I'll be set, or maybe I should stop spending money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Terrific!
If you do venture into LCD HDTV don't buy RCA/Scenium/Thompson. I bought a RCA L50000, a LCOS HDTV. They turned out to be disposable. 9 months in it developed a bluish area. After haggling for a month or so, it was replaced. I made sure I had on record that the year warranty began with the new set. Good thing. 6 months later the new set would not turn on. 2 months of arguing and haggling, it was replaced with the present DLP. Another year warranty that was "against policy". 6 months later the bulb burns out. 2 months of arguing and haggling.

On the positive side, the sets were fixed or replaced. On the negative side, they had to be. Each time I was without use for a couple of months as a stream of techs had to be scheduled, came in, sent reports, which had to filed before actions could be initiated, then resolved. Could have been a couple of days but each took at least 8 weeks (the lamp assembly had to be ordered).

Over this same period I've had a Samsung LCD DTV, no prob.

Just my experience, and no I don't work for Philips, Hitachi, Toshiba or Sharp.

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 10
Yesterday I was at the mall where the Bose store is located. I almost bought the Bose system several months ago, but luckily I held out and bought my Orbs. Just for kicks, my 2 children and I went in to see the show while my wife shopped. Even with the tailored soundtrack and outrageously expensive equipment, the Bose speakers were not close to the sound I get out of the Orbs with my $500 Yamaha receiver. You could really tell how weak the Bose subwoofer is. I do like the idea of storing my music in the system, but not enough to live with the weakness of the speakers. Anyway, thanks to this forum for educating me on Bose and steering me to take a chance on the Orbs back when I was contemplating the purchase. My choice was DEFINITELY validated yesterday.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I would love to see a reputable review compairing the orbs to the Gallos!

I think the Orb Sub is more substantial from what I have read.

I tried bidding on a set of Gallo "due" at E-bay soem time ago and they went for $500 each! The only difference between them and the MOd two is the cool tweeter. No bargains on E-bay!

Post Number: 4
Bargamon, there is a big difference between the mod2 and the due. The tweeter for the due is an award winning design and true hi-fi tweeter. Actually a pair of due for $500 is a bargain.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
$500 each! Set of four went for 2k!

Its a great speaker no doubt. Thats why I chased them. When used E-bay goes for 80% of retail, I back off long before!

Username: Tubetone

St. Louis , MO USA

Post Number: 5
You guys crack me up with your orbs. I guess I'll have to at least check them out before I nock them. Maybe I will pick them up as a dealer?

Post Number: 5
Yeah $500 is a little high, but these are quality speakers and you pay for quality. You cannot compare the two.

Username: Jonandabby

Post Number: 6
Ricari, there has to be some kind of apples-apples thinking when you make recommendations. If you were car shopping, you wouldn't want someone to say "Well, that well regarded Accord is good, but the BMW 7-series is better." Of course, the $500 per speaker set is better than the $300 per speaker set (the cost of a Mod2) or a $165/speaker set (Mod1). These posts began by discussing the merits of Orb compared to Bose and other $1000 - $1500 speakers. It confuses the issue to toss out a $3000 due set ($500/speaker * 5 speakers + $500 for the subwoofer) and then say that it compares to the other options.

Post Number: 6
A'divas to Mod2's. Apples to apples. A fair comparison. I did not toss out due's, bargamon did. He was comparing due to mod2's. Do not forget that Orb's are virtual clones of Anthony Gallo micros. I am not trying to bash orb's, but if you are talking about value the Anthony Gallos are it. If you are just counting dollars then Orb' are it.

Gotcha. From wandering the boards all over, my general sense is that the micros and Orbs are similar, but the Orb sub is better.

Scottgu3
Unregistered guest
Here's my followup to my May 22nd post.

My family has recently moved into our house that was under construction. We built a dedicated media room. My earlier post listed the equipment that I ordered sight unseen/unheard from various internet sites. While not necesarily the brightest idea with AV equipment, I was careful and wound up saving several thousands of dollars over retail.

After much looking and researching, I had settled on the Orb Mod 2s and other equipment listed in that post. After 2 weeks of use I have been quite impressed! The Mod 2s (in a 7.1 arrangement) fill the room with sound and have an incredible presence. The sub is very tight and you can feel the explosions, bass, etc.

My dad helped me place and install the speakers from ceiling placed multi-mounts. He had dropped some serious money on his HT and could not believe how much he "wasted" on his speakers when compared to the Orb's look and sound. My wife has been quite pleased with the look and my mom kept on telling my father that he needed to get Orbs as well and get rid of the towers that he currently has.

If you are like me and have been on the fence about ordering something that you can't hear, let me assure you that you won't be disappointed. I am certainly no audiophile and definitely did not have a high-end system before my current one, but defintely do now and it certainly rivals anything else I have ever heard.

If anyone is interested, I will try to post a link to some pictures of the speakers on their multi-mounts and the look in the room later. I just think they are the coolest looking speakers and the look with the pedestal TV is so clean.

BTW - It looks like you've gotta post this disclaimer on the BB now. I don't work for Orb.

Just received my A'divas and MPS Sub. I do not know how the super 8 sounds, but the MPS produces clear, tight and detailed bass. It has replaced my POLK psw250 front firing sub, which is similar in size to the super 8. The Polk can really rumble, but does not have the same detail as the MPS. That is what I was looking for in a sub. To each his own. As far as the A'divas, that slighty lower frequency response rounds out the overall sound. Definetly makes a difference. Only my opinion.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Ric, NOw I get it, you got the Gallos! your happy? Good for you. YOu got a great speaker and the pedigree that goes with it. All subjective anyway. The gally sub is good? Good for you!

The Orbs are ripoffs of the gallos! If they got 95% of the performance for 75% of the cost, they got value.

Anyone done a price compare? Apples to apples?

Post note: My new outlaw LFM has broken in nice is is just smooth and big! At $399 it was a blow out price for a 12inch duel port (both down firing), 25hz rating and 325watts rms. THe down firing aspect for the ports were big for me as side firing ports do funky things on the walls, makes placement tougher.

I would still consider marrying this sub to gallos by the way, as well as the mod2's which are still on the top of my list.

There is only one thing that matters, that you like what you hear and the value is good! After that, who cares!

Yeah I am happy and not afraid to admit it. We get it! your happy with your new Outlaw LFM! I am glad you ar still considering the Gallos. Go listen to some A'divas before getting the MOD2. If you are interested in Gallos I might be able to help. I just did the ceiling mounts with 4 surrounds. Extremely discrete without compromising sound quality. They look great too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Apples to Apples? Is there a practical way to empirically compare Gallos, Bose and Orbs? An individual with a lot of time and money or an outfit might be able to swing it, but practically speaking comparisons are limited. My problem with previous posts on Bose made comparisons to systems entirely not comparable to Orb. The Gallos clearly are. While they may be more expensive, the analogy is not between Accord and BMW 7, but Accord and Audi A4 and BMW 3. All are designed to fill a similar niche, but have refinements and fit and finish that separate. Price is but one factor in the comparison. I buy Audi for the complete package -- car, warranty, service, price -- but one buying the BMW is not duped in the least.
While you can go out and rather easily test drive these vehicles, testing audio equipment in the home is more difficult and time consuming.

A pissing contest is not very useful.

By the way...
Set up direct connections between the Integra DPC-8.5 and Outlaw 1050 to bypass the Outlaws filters (Direct 5.1). I didn't pay attention to that detail when buying the 1050, but I'm now sure glad Outlaw had the foresight to include direct connects so that advanced imaging and processing in the future wouldn't relegate the 1050 to be obsolete. In SACD and DVD-A the system sings. The imaging and clarity of the Orbs really comes out. Positioning has still been a problem, but that is more the strange configuation of the room and furniture (and brick walls), then the speakers.

Ale8
Unregistered guest
I purchased the Orbs with a mod2 as a center channel. Im using a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX receiver. The Orbs sound very very nice on this receiver. I didnt think such sound could come out of a speaker this small. Movies are incredible. The sub is something to rave about. Are there better systems out there? Yea probably, but not for the money. I have a friend who has a Bose system, and Im not very impressed with it at all. These Orbs beats my old HTIB easily. Since its a disclaimer thing, Im not working for ORB, but I am biased towards them now:-)

Username: Sean111

I just bought a set of Orb Audio's "People Choice" 5.1 speaker system with Hoss Stands (http://www.orbaudio.com/browseproducts/People's-Choice-Home-Theater-Speaker-System.HTML) based on the strength of consumer reviews, Orb's www and customer service, and this very useful forum. Also, with a 30 day MBG, how could I lose?

I recently bought the latest Pioneer 50" plasma TV, Philips DVD upsampler, and Pioneer Elite VSX52TX receiver (I see that I am not the only one to pair this receiver with the Orbs). I am adding the Orbs to this (separate) home theater in my bedroom.

My main system includes Dunlavy SC-IV speakers, Pass Labs Aleph O mono-blocks, Aleph P pre-amp, Meridian 518.24 CD player running silver balanced interconnects throughout. I used to be a professional classic music and opera critic, so I value playback. I would describe myself as an audiophile/audionut for 2-channel playback.

I am still awaiting the Orbs' arrival and plan to ship them back if they disappoint. My reason for buying these speakers sight unheard?

-30 day MBG
- This and other www posts from consumers (I don't trust "professional reviewers" any farther than I could toss a pair of Dunlavy SC-VIs or VW Golf)
-Seems like one of the principals from Gallo, their nearest competitor, left recently and took the secret recipe with him. So we get an equal or better version of the Gallo Micro at a huge discount. I could care less about alleged patent issues.
-People seem to think that the Gallo subs really suck
- Orbs= Very High WAF factor (critical factor in purchasing "clearance" from the boss)
- Orbs=Compact: this is going into my bedroom.
-Also, don't ever mention the word "Bose" to me! They are a marketing company that sells speakers.

Some issues raised by other posters on this board and of concern to me also:
-No dedicated tweeter: I am using this only for home theater, so not that critical
-4 Ohms for Mod 2: not a significant driving factor for a 4" speaker with a 100 WPC amp (or probably half of that)
-8" sub: I am still waiting to hear this. People say it sounds "musical" and "reaches the low notes." Not convinced.
-Gallos are a bad value. If I had $2k to spend on home theater speakers, there's a lot out there and I wouldn't settle on Gallo 4-5" speakers (!!!)
-Patent issues. Puhleaaze!

Sooo, I'm looking forward to hearing these things. If it is really awesome, I'll post. If not...

It's truly great that a forum like this exists. Where were we before www?

s

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 13
Hey Sean. I think it would be great if you posted whether you like them or not. Just because some really like the Orbs doesn't mean everyone will and I always think people need to hear both sides, especially from an internet-direct company. I hope you are as pleased with them as I am.

Ale8
Unregistered guest
I agree with Mark. I hope you are very pleased with them as I am. Please post your reviews on them once you have them setup and listened to a couple of times. I hope you enjoy!

Post Number: 10
Like I said before the mod2 is the same price as an A'diva. The A'diva comes with wall, ceiling, and stand mounts. The mod2 only comes with stands ( you pay extra for wall mounts ). An A'diva is one 5inch sphere, the mod2 is two 4 3/16inch sphere almost 9 inchs. The mod2 takes up almost double the space. Not so small any more. The conclusion is simple, smaller size, more refined,same price, more brackets, optional recessed ceiling mounts and better frequency response equals a better value. Why is that so difficult for everyone to understand? Let's not forget what Orb want's for the BOSS stands $400 a pair. Who are they kidding. not me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I've heard the A'diva w/ the MPS sub and the Mod2 w/ the Orb sub, and the Orbs sound way better and the sub is in a totally different league. Everyone in my group thought the same thing. The Mod2 also had more output and was more comparable in sound to large speakers than the A'Diva. I think you have your info on the Orb pricing wrong, too, since my BOSS stands cost $99 per pair and the most expensive floor stand is $299. The wall mounts are $12, which isn't a deal breaker for anyone. You do realize that w/ Gallo you are paying for them even when you don't need them if they are all included in the price, right? You also realize that Gallo probably sells the A'Divas to distributors for less than the Orb stuff, and the only reason you are paying more or the same is because of markups, right?

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 15
"I do not know how the super 8 sounds"

Dude, you admit in a previous post that you haven't even heard the Orbs with the sub designed for them, yet you insist they are not as good as the Gallos. I can't decide if you are just trying to be a troll or if you are looking for someone to tell you the Gallos are better so you'll feel better about your purchase. OK, the Gallos are better, now will you quit saying the same thing over and over and go away? The Gallos are great speakers, but after listening to both I preferred the Orbs. A few things thrown in for "free" weren't enough to change my mind, and apparently the same is true for a lot of others. If you truly believe "to each his own" as in your previous post, then quit trying to convince me that I am wrong and you are right. I bought the system that sounded better to me, the Orbs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I have two sets of the Hoss stands, two front two back. I originally bought one pair. My wife loves the look and I bought a second. They are a SOLID steel base with stainless steel rods. These should not be underestimated either in terms of quality or price. Why buy $299 stands? The aesthetics.

Bronze Member

Well, I quote from the above statement " The Gallos are great speakers, but after listening to both I preferred the Orbs ". Personal preference. I never said that the mps sub was better than the super 8. So "I do not know how the super 8 sounds" Dude. I never asked you your preference on speakers. I simply implied that the A'divas are a great quality speaker and have value. So do not get so defensive about your twin orbs, that take up 4 more inches of space then the A'diva. You might as well add your subwoofer into that space being that it is bigger than an MPS sub. How about you add in originality of design of both the A'diva and MPS compared to the Mods and Super8. Guys we are talking about size vs. quality. Take an Orb - Mod2. it has 2 speakers vs. Gallo - A'diva it has 1 speaker. See the difference. These competitors are claiming that size does not have to change the quality of sound. Turning a system into 2 speakers ruins the claim. Add 3 and 4 speakers while you are at it. A MOD2 is a Gallo Due wanna be. Have you actually listened to a Due? I have and it is in completey different class than an ORB or an A'diva for that matter. You also do not know how much I paid for my Gallos. I am not looking to be right or need your validation of my own preference. Like I said before, you can not make a honda accord into a BMW. It just does not work.
Monologue, I never said A'divas came with floor stands.Check orb audio for the price on BOSS Stands. You just added $12 dollars to the price of an ORB or how about $17.50 for a ceiling mount. Instead of attacking me why don't you ask me a few questions. This is an opinion based website after all.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 16
You're right, it is an opinion based website. I have said in every post that I think the Gallos are good speakers. What part of "sounded better to me" is not an opinion.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 17
OK, this has been such a good thread and I have done what I get mad at others for doing, which is hijacking the thread with personal pissing matches. I apologize and my next post will have something constructive to say about speakers.

Username: Sean111

Post Number: 2
I just got my Orb "People's Choice" and set it up with my Pioneer Elite home theater system (see my above post -1 July 05). Before I give my first impressions, I will add a caveat: this system is only for home theater and not for music.

I've had a few days to break them in and, must say, I love them! The small Orb's really do crank out the sound, which is relatively full for small drivers. I don't notice any loss of a tweeter. Also the Super 8 sub does hit the low notes, as others have noted before. It's not boomy, which cheap subs usually are. Lastly, they look fantastic, fit unobtrusively into my small room, and my wife loves them (critical). They are as gorgeous to look at as they are to listen to.

Bottom line, for the price they are a tremendous value. I highly recommend them.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I use my system mostly for music, give them a little time to break in, I think you will pleasantly surprised...

phoenix99
Unregistered guest
has anyone compare the orb with anthony gallo( http://www.roundsound.com/main.html ) or morel( http://www.morel.co.il/ ) satellite speakers before?

Thanks.

Got my Orb People's Choice. Love it. Good with music. GREAT with Lord of the Rings. There was a problem with the Sub switching on when the system was powered down. I emailed Orb, and within one exchange they sent me out another and sent a return label for mine.

NO COMPLAINTS FROM HERE, and I ALWAYS complain about something.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I love my Audi!

I was a mercedes guy for a long time. I felt the Audi was a much better value for the money.

If Orbs are Audis, and Gallo's are mercedes, then they are both great! Win win, everybody happy!

Drew.Ri
Unregistered guest
Have any Orb owners had the opportunity to listen to a Hsu Ventriloquist set-up or a Mirage Nano- or Omni-sat set up? I had the opportunity to listen to the Hsu's a few months ago and thought they were great, and cheaper as well. I also listened to the Omnisat's and Microsat's and they also sounded good, though the Mirage sub was pretty weak.

Since I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Orb's, I thought I would see if anyone could offer any insight comparing to the other small sat systems I have heard.

Thanks for any info.

(disclaimer, I do not work for anyone)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
While not a specific comparison of Orb, Bose, Hsu, Mirage or Gallo post -- just heard the SACD "Dark Side of the Moon" (I'm that era) on my Orb ModII system.

WOW!

Username: Dapercy

I have a Denon 2105 and I'm not going out to buy the JVC as the Denon was a gift from the wife and you don't trade in gifts from the wife.

I'm going to buy Orbs, but don't know if I should get a 6.1 Mod1, People's choice, or Mod2 system. I'm happy to pay the extra if the Mod 2 is better, but don't want to spend the money uselessly. Which way should I go?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I have the Mod2 in the front and Mod1 in the rear (People's Choice) and think it's the perfect balance between cost and performance. Unless your room is small, you will want the Mod2 for at least the center channel and more likely the front 3 channels.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 18
I ended up with Mod2's for all 5 channels. I started with Mod1's in the rear, but my room is fairly large so the rears were about 12-15 feet away and I listen to music in 5 channel stereo a lot, so I upgraded to Mod2's in the rear. That is something that I really like about the Orbs is that you can start with Mod1's and upgrade if you feel the need.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I also started with Mod!s in the rear and upgraded to Mod2s all around. I also listen to 5.1 (SACD and DVD-A) music and have a rather large room.

Anonymous

I am pleased with a couple of Mod1 as rears in my 5.1 setup. I recently listened to "India" from Roxy Music's Avalon (SA-CD). This is a short track, where the sound pans from each speaker in a circular fashion. I was impressed at how the Orbs almost matched the tonality of my totally different speakers (Mythos One + Mythos Three) up front. My setup includes a Super8 sub and is driven by a Marantz SR8500.

The super8 is IMO a very musical sub and it does complement the mythos speakers well.

I also own a set of gallos which is in a bedroom. This is a 5.1 setup comprising of 4 x nucleus micro (front and rears) and 1 A'diva for center channnel. These are mated with a Velodyne sub and a HK DPR1001 AVR. Not the best sound but ok for a bedroom.

I did compare the gallos and orbs for use as rear in the main room but did not like the gallos, which seemed to roll-off the upper frequencies and did not work well with the Marantz's slightly warm tone.

Having heard comparable Bose systems (not in my home though) I do feel that the Orbs provide a better overall sound that is closer to natruallity than the Bose.

Unregistered guest
This thread has been very interesting. I'll be checking back in the next few weeks as I make a decision on my home theater setup.

Sean, I'm particularly interested to hear your review.

Username: R111

Does anyone here with Gallo Due's have a spare table stand or wall mount that they would be willing to sell me?

annon
Unregistered guest
I have bought the orbs about 6 months ago, while I found the orbs to sound good enough for me I am having a little problem with the super8. I would like to know of anyone else is having the same problem. Listening to music the sub works fine, however when I am watching a movie during some scenes it makes a thumping noise. For example the heart beat sound from Shaun of the Dead. The sound level on the sub is put to half. I sent my first super8 back and they sent me a new one(cool of them to do)but it still makes the sound. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Generally speaking, if you are having the same problem and you've already switched the subwoofer, it's probably not the subwoofer. This is especially true if it sounds fine w/ music but not w/ HT. If the volume is cutting out during home theater, is it possible it's a setting or something wrong w/ the receiver, DVD, cabling, etc.?

Varit
Unregistered guest
Oh, and if you want to be 100% sure, either try it w/ another subwoofer, or send the sub back to them. You might also try connecting the subwoofer with the speaker wire instead of the subwoofer cable, and set the speakers to "large" temporarily. That would bypass most of the bass management in your receiver. If not, just send it back. Those guys (and most online companies) live and die on their customer service, and Orb has a long warranty and great service.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Additional info needed. Music is fine, but movies unacceptable.

How are movies through cable or satellite?
What are the other components involved?
Is it the same CD/DVD player and receiver for both forms of playback (music and movies)?
What cutoff is used?

Just curious, besides sending back, what did Orb suggest was the problem?

Varit
Unregistered guest
I was pleasantly surprised to see Orb in my Wired magazine this month (August issue) out of nowhere. They ranked the Mod2 as the best small speaker system they tested, above the Mission M-Cube and a nice B&W system. Nice to see Orb getting some press -- guess they aren't so under the radar anymore. Hopefully it won't go to their heads....

Anonymous

Or their prices

bcamp
Unregistered guest
still like my 5.1 MOD 2 setup with the Pioneer VSX-815K. I'm contemplating getting a different center channel, taking apart the MOD2 to make 7.1. I was thinking about the Anthony Gallo Reference 3 center channel. Your thoughts? Anyone know where to get one for a good price?

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
INteresting, I almost percieve the mod2 center a bit weak given how some companies put some greater emphasis into the center. Even, (sorry) Bose has an alternative center speaker. HSU comes to mind also! OK, how about a MOd3, or 4? Just thinking!

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
INteresting, I almost percieve the mod2 center a bit weak given how some companies put some greater emphasis into the center. Even, (sorry) Bose has an alternative center speaker. HSU comes to mind also! OK, how about a MOd3, or 4? Just thinking!

Bargamon
Unregistered guest

Post Number: 9
While I don't claim to have tortured the Mod 2 center to its limit, it certainly seemed robust enough to me in playing the battle scenes in LotR III....

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Looked at that Gallo center speaker, and my guess is it will be priced very close to what a full Mod2 system itself costs!

Basically I have read that is is desired to have the same speaker accoustically matched across the front 3 channels. While the Gallo balls could be compatatble, the electrostate Tweeter they use might thow the rest of the system out of balance. That center with their reference system, or with "due's" all around would work because they all use that tweeter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
I'm pretty sure Orb will tell you how to put together a Mod4 if you ask, there were pictures of someone's Mod4 on avsforum or somewhere else that I saw when I was researching my speaker purchase back in the day. It has to be very basic wiring change plus a way to put them together physically.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I would be running a modest power reciever (if outlaws ever builds it!) so it may not be a realistic objective for me.

I have a 38' wide Loewe Aconda, which when using a loewe audio system (not US spec) uses the tv speakers as the center channel. The set uses bose layout and sounds quite good for a table top set. IT weighs 230 lbs by the way!

The system they use impliments bose cubes but repackages them with round aluminum housing.

I don't want to go that route, but I need to see if there is a practical way to impliment use of the speakers in the set. The problem lies in using their proprietary harness/software that would be taking over the sets audio controls.

I am not encouraged that I can do this, or if I could make it even more complicated for my wife to watch a movie. Some how muting the speakers then having an external signal dedicated only for the center seems a bit much. My wife upon hearing the Loewe commented that by itself sound great! The TV has a Sub out jack that is sealed up and again would mate with a euro spec Loewe sub. I would be curious to hear it that way!

Seems buying a few orb balls is much easier, and a lot less costly!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Pretty great review in Home Theater Mag this month, too....just arrived today in the mail.

Bronze Member

CT

Post Number: 13
I don't think you would have a problem running a mod 4 on a modest receiver. When wired in series, the four speakers have an impedance of 8 ohms. This will demand less power from a receiver than the usual 4. It will be driving four speakers, so there is some trade off. Talk with orb. I've tried it by experimenting with my mod1 rears connected to the mod2 center using a modest Marantz receiver and it worked fine.

Glad to hear the speakers are finally getting some press.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 32
neither
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us