Progressive Scan requires HDTV-Ready?

Hi there,

I purchased a Sony Television (KP46WT500) in December and am ready to buy into a Home Theater system. I have several in mind but the most important question I have is this:

In order to take advantage of Progressive Scan do I need a television that is HDTV-Ready?

I've read that you do, and I'm not quite sure what this means. My television is HDTV *capable* but it needs a separate tuner. So ... does this mean I need to get a tuner to take advantage of Progressive Scan? (And if that's the case, what would I do? Hook the DVD Player to the Tuner and the Tuner to the T.V.?)

I know that I can hook up a Progressive Scan player even with a totally Non-High Definition Television but again, I really want to see the best picture quality that I can...

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

William

In order to enjoy progressive scan out put from a DVD player you do need a HDTV ready or "capable" TV. You do not need any type of decoder or set top box. All you need to do is plug the component video output from your DVD player into one of the component video inputs on your TV(They are color coded RED GREEN BLUE). Since you are using component video with progressive scan you will receive the BEST possible picture(480p resolution). TV resolution is the number of horizontal lines on your TV. Regular analog TV uses "i" or "interlaced" scan this means the tv first displays only the odd numbered lines then does the even numbered lines on your screen, digital(HDTV'S) do this and progressive or "p", the TV displays all the lines on your screen in a single sweep bottom to top(twice the information).The result a clear smooth picture. So when you see stuff like "720p" the number in front represents the number of lines on the screen and the letter after tells you either "p" progressive or "i" interlaced.

I wouldn't use an S-Video connection? I would use the Yg Pb R thing ... whatever that is?

Rob
You can use S-video, but component (Yg Pb R) looks MUCH better.

William
Had no idea. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us