HT-S650 LFE Problem Fixed Soon On The New Ones ?

Anonymous
When will it be safe to buy a new HT-S650 ?

Anonymous
Have you purchased an HT-S650 in 2003? Please post here and let us know if you have or do not have the LFE bug. Please also indicate where you purchase your system. Thanks

Anonymous
end of january from www.soundcity.com Yes I have the LFE bug...

tim
October 02. I have the LFE bug. Don't think bed rest and Tylenol will make it go away. Soundcity

Anonymous
exchanged it yesterday, yes the bug is there, Onkyo doesnt seem to mind selling this shoddy product to consumers.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.

Anonymous
I just bought my system yesterday (3/1) and I think i have the problem as well. But i do not mind that much because like everyone said, Mode 1 sounds good. But I am having some connection issues. I dont know what i did wrong but after i connected the DVD player to the reciever via a optical cable, the image on my screen is all wavy and i do not get any sound from it. Before i had the Onkyo, I had the DVD player connect to the television via component connections. What exactly am i doing wrong?

FYI...I have a pioneer progressive scan DVD player and a JVC 32" flat screen (non-HDTV).

Anonymous
Also, where do you guys recommend i go to get some nice 24" speaker stands? Nothing too fancy, but nice and durable.

Thanks!

Anonymous
CC has some nice speaker stands, I bought the 28" to get the rear surrounds over the couch. they are black wood, and require assembly. nice. and not too pricey.

Anonymous
bought my Ht-s650 about a month ago, had the problem, traded in the receiver (CC didn't make me re-pack and return the whole system) and the new one works fine - ran all of the THX tests, etc. sounds great. CC did right by me, and I like the system.

Anonymous
Just purchased a new HT-S650 over the weekend (03/16) from CC in the San Francisco Bay Area. I confirmed that it DOES NOT have the LEF bug using both the Avia LFE test and the THX optimizer test. The CC bar code sticker on the box has a date of 03/13/03.

Rich
Does someone know where I can find the AVIA LFE test and the THX Optimizer test.

Thanks,

The THX optimizer is on any THX DVD, some examples are star wars I and II, as well as monsters inc. My moulin rouge is also THX certified. I think THX.com has a list of them.
Scott
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us