Small Newbie question

Warder45
I was looking at the Onkyo HTB-650 system and I noticed something I didn't understand. The reciever, the SR500 I believe, rates at 400w total power yet when advertising the HTB-650 system it says 650w total power. I'm not sure I understand that, does that mean the speakers can handle 650w but doesn't get it with the SR500 reciever? I'm curious because I was planning on getting the pioneer VSX-D811S, which rates at 600w total power, with the htb-500 onkyo speakers(same speakers that come with HTB-650). Anyone that could help me out or point me in the right direction so I can find out, thanks.

Visna
Cnet says the receiver output is 500W, and Onkyo says the speakers can handle up to 650W total. Personnally, I own the HT-S650, but would recommend you get the pioneer receiver (no known LFE channel problem), and build your own speaker set (you'll have to upgrade the front speakers of the sks-ht500 anyway: they're not the best sounding). So in conclusion, don't buy the ht-s650, build something nicer.

Anonymous
Pioneer VSX-D811S is a 6.1 channel system, it also decodes Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, and DTS:Neo

Receiver is 600W and then you can attach a 100W powered sub to take it to 700W.

IT has too many in/out jacks, and frankly I haven't even used one fourth of them. Some day when I will buy HDTV and other devices, this receiver will come in handy.

Grimace
Warder45,

Onkyo HTS650 has 100 watts for each of the five channels, and a 150 watt powered sub.

John Raymond
Onkyo lists the receiver as 100 watts per channel X 5 = 500 watts + 150 watt sub= 650 Watts.

The reason the HT-S650 is so popular is the sound you get for the money. A clean power receiver (Onkyo, Denon, HK etc) makes any decent speaker sound nice and good speakers terrific, this is why you see Onkyo and HK receivers in the audition rooms at CC and other stores.

The Pioneer receiver is a good buy, but it's distortion (THD) is 0.9% compared to Onkyo's 0.08%, that's 10 times more distortion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Pioneer- I've got a Pioneer Radio/MP3 player in my car, but for home theater with the strains that are put on volume you need clarity throughout and that is why the 650 is so popular for less than 500.00.

The LFE bug that my receiver has is a problem that Onkyo will correct. I talked to their service dept and as soon as they get a few more of the defective receivers they will post a response in FAQ on their website that will simply have us check all connections and settings to ensure there is a defect in our receiver and not user error before returning for replacement/repair. However they do stress that you furnish them with a receipt from an authorized Onkyo Dealer when you do return the receiver.

Warder45
Thanks, I should have put that I saw the sr500 reciever in my local ABC wharehouse ad where they put it at 400w. THis site has it listed lower as well.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=onktxsr500

anyways thanks again for the info, is there a site that explains alot of terms for new audiophies like me? for example what exactly is THD?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us