Onkyo HTS-650 LFE issue fixed for me.

AV-ophile
Just an update. Onkyo replaced my defective receiver since I bought it from them directly. I can honestly say that you should not keep from buying this system just because of the LFE problem. They are aware of it and will resolve it. It's not an easy thing to pinpoint when they have over 50,000 of these things out so it's normal that it can take some time. Their service is great and once this problem is resolved there is not a system on the market that comes close in dollars to performance ratio. Not the Sony or the Pioneers. I'm not even sure how people that have heard all of these systems can even put them in the same category as the Onkyo. The Kenwood is a bit closer but still has a long ways to go. Anyways, just wanted to let people know that the issue is actively being worked on. This system rocks!!!

Pietaster
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I saw your message over at the other forum. Thank you. I still can't believe the massive improvement since getting the rcvr without the bug. Either way, bug or no bug, this is one hell of a system. I had been looking for months for one. I was looking at both sony and kenwood. I'm glad I waited it out and picked up this one.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.

Pietaster
Anonymous--why in the hell do you keep posting the same thing in every discussion for this Onkyo recvr. Everyone is already aware of the specs and the problems with it. Not all of the recvr are defective. Mine and Av have been fixed. Please stop repeating yourself in all of these forums.

I have the HTS650 and I have heard a lot of talk about this LFE bug. I have bass coming out of my sub. Does this mean my system is fine, or is there some way I can test it to know for sure?

ALL OF YOU, stop crying and just get it fixed. Onkyo knows about the problems and is willing to resolve all issues. I dropped my unit off at the repair shop the other day and they fixed it no questions asked, nothing out of pocket. Depending on where you bring it, the tech should have access to the Onkyo service bulletins(online) which clearly state the problem and that its covered.

What I cant understand is that Onkyo asked me if it was still under warranty. Lucky for me it was but I felt that if Onkyo knew, at this point, that they had gotten a bad batch of IC chips, shouldnt they fix the problem regardless of whether or not its under warranty. Giving the benefit of the doubt, Onkyo might not have known that the units were bad before they shipped out, but in reality they did go out from the factory defective.
Dont you think this should be a recall issue and not a warranty part?

anomynous
does anyone know if there is the same LFE problem with the HTS 760 system that recently came out?

Jamie
I have the onkyo hts650 and I just found out about the LFE problem (not positive if i have it) and I bought my system in June 2002 so my warranty just ended last month. If I have the problem would they fix it? I was looking through the other thread that explains the problem and I dont think i have it but not sure. What I did was I played a few dvds with 5.1 dolby digital with the receiver set to subwoofer mode 3 with a optical cable from dvd to receiver and I dont notice the bass sounding distorted at all. I notice mode 1 puts out much more bass and mode 2 alittle more also then mode 3, but the bass still sounds clean on mode 3. Is it possible i still have LFE bug after doing all this? Thanks, any help is appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us