Returned Onkyo because of sound quality

Anonymous
I returned my Onkyo system last month...not because of any physical problems...but because I wasn't happy with the sound quality. Yeah, it had all the power I'd ever need (and then some), but the QUALITY of the sound I found lacking (to my ears). I thought the subwoofer sounded muddy (Mode 1). When I played cds, the vocals weren't clear at all. I found that the overall sound lacked 'warmth' and 'body'. Don't know if this would be called a lack of 'midrange' or not...the sound just didn't feel 'full'. I'm not an 'Onkyo basher' or a 'Kenwood lover' (although I would've been replacing my 8-year-old Kenwood with this)...I just found the Onkyo lacking in the sound quality area. Now before some kid who is home from school posts a 'Onkyo sucks/Kenwood rules' reply, allow me to say that the Kenwood HTIBs don't remotely compare to my current older Kenwood system. Now to find some other option to replace my system (which is basically just TOO BIG for my current living conditions)...

Jim
Hi,
What Onkyo model was that?
Jim

Anonymous
Probably the HT-S650

Anonymous
Now those are specific complaints! :) Sorry you didn't like your Onkyo. Mine sounds fine to my ears. Don't know what your looking for. Pioneer came out with an HTIB whose specs look pretty good and might sound better to you than the Onkyo. Also, the Denon seems to have decent reviews. I really don't think the Kenwoods or Sonys are a match for the Onkyo, so you may or may not like those.

Anonymous
Sorry, it was the HTS650 I had purchased. I'm not sure, but there might have been something defective with my Onkyo that affected the sound quality. Unfortunately, I can't even listen to one on display in a local store as the only place close to me is a Circuit City...and it REALLY needs some REHAB!! The home theater section is a complete disgrace. I'm always interested in looking a speakers covered in dust with rips and tears in the fabric! Not to mention the fact that most of the systems on display are apparently not hooked up correctly...or are hooked up to non-matching components. It's crazy. The television section isn't much better. Ever try comparing televisions when all the displays look like an old VHS transfer (using bad wiring, recorded on the slowest speed). Don't know how these guys expect to sell product. Being a current Kenwood owner, I was surprised that the new Kenwood systems sounded so poor (compared to mine). I guess companies change over the years. What models of Pioneer and Denon are you referring to? Also, how is Yamaha faring in the home theater mix?? Thanks for any suggestions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us