Why Not To Purchase Onkyo

Anonymous
This might just be a problem with a few selected units, but if you own this system, put in a DVD with a THX-optimizer and run the 6-channel speaker test... The Onkyo receiver will pass "garbage" information when it gets to the subwoofer if you are connected to it via optical or digital coax. It will sound like clicking and popping. What this means is that the Onkyo's DD 5.1 decoder is messed up!! As I mentioned, this might only be an issue with a few receivers, but please check for yourself if you own this or are thinking of buying it. This doesn't mean that the subwoofer won't work... It will pass bass from the main speakers to the sub just fine when in Sub mode 1 or mode 2. It's when you are watching a DD 5.1 DVD and true LFE-channel info is being passed that the receiver falls short. A great example is the beginning of Star Wars 2 when the ship flies by... It will sound like your sub is ALL MESSED UP!!

Anonymous
Philip Krewer, MD 665 Myatt Dr. Madison, TN 37115 (615) 945-5196 pkrew@citlink.net Dear Michael Lighthause: I'm writing as a concerned consumer about the issue with the defective chip in your TX-DS797 receiver. I purchased this unit from Circuit City in December of 2002. Initially, I was very pleased with the overall sound and build quality of your product. Then I discovered that the sound drops out in some DVDs and in Dolby broadcasts. When I looked up the problem on the internet I was angered to say the least to find that this problem has been known about for sometime and indeed is prevalent enough that you have a posting on your FAQ section. I have a herniated lumbar disc, a serious back injury. Now I have to lug your defective receiver, which weighs 36 lbs, back to Circuit City, wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired and then lug it back home. Not to mention the bending over that I'm going to have to do to remove and replace it into my system. All of this for a receiver that should not have been available for me to purchase in the first place. In fact, it is more outrageous that your company has known about this problem since January of 2002. I have no doubt that it would have been very easy for your company to determine within reasonable accuracy which units were involved and order a recall. But no recall was given and for that matter you didn't even notify your retailers. I have no doubt that your company's reason for not recalling the defective receivers was financial. If you recall the receivers you have to pay for the return shipping, the repair, and you have to sell all the receivers as remanufactured with a substantial reduction in price. You don't tell your retailer because they're just going to send the units back to you and you're in the same boat as if you recalled the receivers. But hey, if we don't order the recall we can sell these units to unsuspecting consumers and get full price. A good percentage of them may not even notice the defect, especially if they don't play the right DVD or listen to Dolby broadcasts. Besides, some of them won't want to bother with fixing it anyway. This way we only have to pay for some of the repairs and the consumer will have to pay for at least half of the shipping. Never mind that the consumer has to deal with the hassle of taking his receiver in for repair and wait at least two weeks and sometimes two months before they can listen to their brand new receiver. Never mind, that because we know about it in advance, we are essentially selling remanufactured receivers at retail prices. We saved the company money. Of course all we really did was transfer some of the loss in this fiasco to the consumer. I'm appalled that I was able to buy this defective receiver almost a year after the defect was discovered, especially from an authorized dealer. I'm also appalled that you refused to return my phone call. It is my understanding from reading the reviews on the internet that your company actually denied the problem to some consumers, blaming it on fault.

Anonymous
The speaker systems sucks. Not crispy and sharp at all. Subwoofer is dull and week. Not a choice for playing movie. It can't compare to some cheap Pioneer HTIB. Don'tunderstand why CNET editors gave a high remark.

Anonymous
Tell me about it brother. This HT-S650 has been nothing but trouble since I hooked it up last year. The receiver melted, satellites went out, terrible product.

Jake
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us