Need recommendation on HT spkr system

Arvind
hi all,
i am looking for a recommendation on speakers on a home-theatre system. i am working with a budget of about USD 1000 for the total system, out of which i have my mind set on either a HK AVR 225 or a Denon 1803.
given this choice and the remainder of the budget, can anyone recommend any speakers for about USD 600- USD 700 ? i would love to get Polk but i also have to be realistic unless i buy stuff in installments. what do you think ?

thanx.

I have about the same requirements and would also be interested in feedback. On my search so far, I was impressed with the Infinity Entra Point five. Great clarity in voice and nice base with 10" sub. Initially I liked the Bose Ac. 10, but second listen voices sounded muddled.

This week I hope to listed to Paradigm.

Arvind
i wonder if anyone here has heard of the Pinnacle Classic Gold Reference and whether it is really what it is touted to be ! i also haven't been able to find a single seller on the web for these speakers. i wonder if CC or BB stocks any of these for me to check them out !

I own the Northridge JBL series with the 10" sub.I upgraded the front speakers to 8" and kept the surr. bookshelf 5" speakers.Very nice.They sound better than a comparable Titan Paradigm setup with a 8" sub.I also liked the Infinity entra five,but since I have had JBL in the past in my car with no problems,I chose them.Probably could get the 4 bookshelfs and center for 250 bucks and the sub for another 250.If you get the small bookshelfs,I would recommend getting the 12"sub(400+ dollars?),but thats not really necessary.

Arvind
guys,

thanx a lot for your responses. i tend to agree with Leigh. i initially loved the Bose system. however, it proved that this system would only be great for watching movies with lots of explosions and other sounds that use the lows in them. however, my taste goes well beyond that. the Bose speakers did end up sounding very artificial when playing basic music or even dialogue.

now, this might sound ridiculous and perhaps, even, sacrilegious. but what i am looking for is a good speaker system that i can use as a home theatre sound outlet but also a lot for my music. my tastes in music range not only from hank williams to def leppard to beethoven, but i also listen to a lot of (asian) indian music that includes a lot of mid- to upper frequency sounds, with a lot less emphasis on the bass.

the sats would sound great when i am playing the Star Wars or Top Gun DVD and i hear the planes 'whoosh'ing by ! by the same token, i would love to hear the highest note of beethoven's no.5 symphony just as well !

am i asking for the moon or is there something really out there ?

thanx.

Anonymous
Hi All
I have about the same requirements and would also be interested in feedback.

Ok, after more listening I've found another good option. Tried a package at Tweeter. System had Yamaha RX-V630 Receiver with Boston Acoustics CR series speakers. The package was $1350. This was the first system I thought did as well with music as theater. Only change I would make would be to upgrade the sub from the 100W pv500 to 150W pv600.

I'm going to listen to the Infinity one more time with bigger fronts. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the Boston.

I tried to listen to Paradigm but the local dealer went out of business. :(

hello everyone....

I find myself in the same boat as Arvind....I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good set of speakers.....I'm looking for the same req. as Arvind. Is this realistic...or is there somethere out there that actually exhists. Any feedback would be appreciated. Budget: $1000.00 USD...but flexable....

Thanks

Ron Brierley
I'm pretty happy with my Fluance SX-HTB HT speaker system (tower mains, center and two surrounds) and it leaves a LOT of $$ in your pocket afterwards (cost me $212.00 US on ebay). Then I put a few bucks into a good sub. I auditioned Energy, Mission, Polk and JBL and I could not justify the extra cost. to each their own ! Check out www.fluance.com and ebay.

Ron

Arvind
This is very interesting. I tried checking out this speaker system - the Fluance speakers - and seem to find little or no mention at any of the top audio sites - excepting hometheatreforum.com where some discussions on this system have taken place, most of which sound pleasing !

Is there any store that anyone knows that actually keeps these speakers in stock and hooked up so that one might listen to them before barging back home with one of them. While there seems to be a lot of good heard, I still think that the better way out for me (and anyone in my shoes, figuratively of course !) would be to start with a couple of fronts and a centre.

Now, should the fronts be the standard floor-standing 3-ways (Polk has a good set for under USD 300). The centre comes for another USD 150-200. So under USD 500, I can start with a good system. I guess some months down the line, it might even make sense to get a sat pair and nice sub.

BTW, for those who don't know, there is a big deal going on at Polk (www.polk.com) where, if you buy stuff worth USD 450 (i think), they give you the PSW202 free !

Now what do you think ?

po
You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out

www.hometheaterdirect.com

For $550 you get the full Level 2 set which gets very very good reviews and these are actually very high quality speakers. Not tiny little satellites and a sub.

I believe these may be the best budget speakers around and a great way to break into home theater.

Not the name brand of Polk, but sound 98% of the way there for a quarter of the price. Pretty darn good if you ask me.
-po

Anonymous
I'd go with the JBL150's $330 and a Panny SEHK100 receiver $300. Then you could use the savings for cables, movies, stands. Here is a link to the JBL speakers:

http://www.audiovideoman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=26247&pageid=73
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us