Need help to set up Pioneer home theater system, please!

Anonymous
Just got a Pioneer home theater system, w/sub-woofer and 5 speakers. Theater in a box system. Receiver style VSX-D711. Having a heckuva time connecting it all correctly. Too many instructions and I'm struggling to make sense of them. Got it all working now except for no sound through receiver when playing DVD or TV. Would this connection work: Optical cable from Digital Out on DVD to receiver; Video cord from Video Out on DVD to receiver, and Video cord from TV to receiver? Booklet suggests that but guys at the electronics counter tell me no, that won't work. Anyone know? Thanks a lot for any help.

Anonymous
Connections are not a rocket science. These days they are all color coded, so go with that or your gut feeling.

To set up my pioneer, I did not have to look at the manual at all, except for when setting the distance and other such config params.

On your DVD player, go to the menu settings (of DVD player) and set it, so that it is aware of the receiver. (Can do so using the 'Setup Navigator' - if dvd player is from Pioneer).

Unless your player is aware of the external decoder, it will not pass on any signal. You can use a digital audio cable from radio-shack/AR/Monster.

For the video signal, I have used the S-video out on receiver, straight to S-video In on the TV. I could have routed it through the receiver, but then I would have to buy two s-video cables.
(Now you have the answer why guys at electronic store won't tell you to do that - commission money).

Btw: I own Pioneer VSX-D811S

Anonymous
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it and I am now enjoying my system. I was getting to the point of thinking about returning it!

Anonymous
What is proper surround speaker placement for a room with no side walls? Would like to mount to ceiling as speaker stands and small children don't mix well. Any advice?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us