What equipment do you reccomend......$5,000budget?

Unregistered guest
I just started tearing up a basement room and getting things ready to run wires. First of all, I am a little limited with the room size. It is only 10'10" wide by 23' long. I know I want to use a ceiling mounted DLP projector. I am trying to spec out my A/V equipment but really dont have a clue what I should buy. I would like to end up around $5k when I am done.

$800 or so for drywall/carpet/lighting/etc
$2000 in theater seats (any reccomendations where to buy?)
Unfortunately this only leaves about 2200 for a projector, speakers, amp, ??? and whatever else I need.
I have the following, but am not sure if they will do the job:
Sony STR-DE697- 7.1channel 100w per ch.
KLH Speakers - sub,center,2fr,2rear
Sanyo Cinema Progressive DVD/MP3/DTS/Dolby Dig.

Not sure if any of those are worth putting in the HT room or better leaving them with the 43"family tv.

What else do I need. Are the buttkickers worth the money, and do i need something else to run them. Also what about a switcher. Any help or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Trevor Young
Coeur d' ALene, Idaho

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 52
Your spending 2 grand on seats and 2200 on the rest.Put your money in the equipment and worry about the seats later.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 696
and whatever you don't don't buy Sony.

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 68
Ditto x2.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 112
Ive got a toshiba MT8U projector(which is the infocus 7200) and 3 bulbs, AND a ceiling mount on ebay right now, reserve price of 2000.00, well over 10,000 worth of gear, could be a start. Besides that, spend wisely on sound, and I totally agree about the seating, use patio chairs if you have to, but DO NOT skimp on the sound, OR picture, because if you do (Im not psychic) you will end up wasting money now as you will no doubt need serious upgrades down the road. JFYI

sony rules
Unregistered guest
whats wrong with sony they have the better tvs on the market at this point for people who dont want to spend more tham 5 grand

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 66
Sony makes great TV's but they are not known for great speakers, receivers, or DVD players.

There is a great deal on the Panasonic AE900u going on right now for about US$1500 plus Blockbuster certificates worth $300+.

Use a white rectangle painted for a screen for now.

A Panasonic 77 or 97 HDMI DVD player gets great ratings and is very affordable.

Get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Spend the balance on an SVS or HSU sub and Blue Jean Cables.

Buy furniture at a garage sale for now until your wallet recovers.

I am not familiar with KLH and their website sucks. I guess they do not sell to the general public.

Great advice from everyone!

Here are a couple links that may help you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Hope this helps and good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 67
When you have all the hardware, I will come up and help you set it up and play a few rounds of golf!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us