I have all this equipment & thinking I don't have them hooked up right HELP please!

Username: Foreverafan3n8

Post Number: 1
Ok I have the following:

1. DIGITAL CABLE BOX (PIONEER DCT2000) -- HAS Y/W/R, S/VIDEO OUT, DIGITAL AUDIO, USB & SERIAL PORTS - AND COAXIALS OF COURSE.

2. NEW 32" SONY KV-32FS120 TV WITH Y/W/R AND THE NEW COLORS BLUE/R AND OTHERS -- AND OF COURSE FRONT PLUGS TOO

3. A PIONEER DVR DVR-220

4. A HOME THEATER IN A BOX PIONEER HTP-440DV WHICH INCLUDES:
*PIONEER DVD PLAYER DV-270
*SUB WOOFER
*WIRELESS REAR SPEAKER (WHICH I CAN ONLY GET TO
WORK WHEN A DVD IS PLAYED - NOT TV SHOW)
*RECEIVER VSX-D414
*3 SPEAKERS

OK THATS MY SYSTEM! NOW I THESE ARE MY PROBLEMS

*I DON'T GET 5.1 STUFF I SHOULD HAVE
*I ONLY GET SPEAKERS WHEN DVD RECORDER IS ON - IS THIS NORMAL? CAN I JUST HAVE IT WITH RECEIVER AND TV?
*I WANT SPEAKERS FOR EVERYTHING
*I WANT TO RECORD TV ON DVR (AND HOPEFULLY WATCH SOMETHING ELSE)
*PLAY DVD ON PLAYER AND RECORD ON RECORDER
*HOW DO I PLUG A DVD/VCR COMBO INTO THIS? DO I USE FRONT PLUGS WHERE WE PLUG IN PLAYSTATION 2?
*CAN'T GET CRAP IN FOR RADIO STATIONS!

SORRY FOR ALL THESE QUESTIONS, BUT I USED TO BE ABLE TO DO ALL MY OWN HOOK-UPS UNTIL THINGS GOT COMPLICATED. I DON'T WANT TO KILL OFF A BUNCH OF DVD-R'S. I ALSO LOST A TV AFTER 2 YEARS SO WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS DUE TO ME NOT HAVING THINGS CONNECTED RIGHT. I DO HAVE A COMPUTER CABLE MODEM SPLIT OFF THE CABLE. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM TO CONNECT A 3-WAY SPLITTER IF NEED BE (I BOUGHT ONE)...AND ALL OTHER CABLES (I HAVE SOME OPTIC ONES AND BLUE ONES, R/W/Y, RCA, COAXIAL ETC). SO JUST TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

THANKS IN ADVANCE. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR THE HELP I'D BE GLAD TO CONSIDER IT. THAT'S HOW DESPERATE I AM. MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR UNTIL I MAKE SURE THIS IS CORRECT.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 693
You do have a lot of questions and I won't answer them all, but here is some pointers:

1) it is highly unlikely that you lost your TV due to improper connections. So don't worry much about that.

2) 5.1 surround will only work if the source recording is done in 5.1. Otherwise some receivers have the ability to digitally make decisions to send (sometimes random) sounds to the back speakers. You may try the different surround modes to see what you like. So as long as you get something out of your back speakers, you shouldn't have any installation issues.

3) In order to get 5.1 to work for everything your receiver should be the center piece of all your connectivity. This means all audio connections go to the receiver. You have to look at the manual to get that done and configured. I don't know if you have enough ports on a HTIB so I can't help you there.

4) Read the manual for the recorder. There are as many different ways of hooking up and recording off of these things as there are devices out there.

5) You probably need an external antenna to the the Radio stations.

6) The resolution and quality of your A/V connections are in this order high to low:
a) HDMI/DVI (which you don't seem to have any)
b) Optical/Coaxial digital audio
c) Component cable (this is 3 RCA plugs colored Red Greeen and Blue)
d) S-Video
e) Regular R/W RCA cables for Audio and Yellow for video

So to the extent that you have ports use the higher ones and when you run out or don't have any more use the lower res ones.

7) Read your HTIB manual. It should have a diagram for most of this.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Stoph for the assistance. You have explained the 5.1 enough for me to understand now. Darn instruction manuals get highly technical -- and I have some knowledge and still get lost :-)

Anyhow, I have read all these manuals and none of them talk about the DVR, they discuss a VCR OR player, but not 1, 2 or all 3 of these components. They also ALL talk about a satellite instead of a cable box. Are these all interchangeable? I wish there was someone I could just hire to come in and hook this darn thing up (haha).

Post Number: 3
OOPS sorry misspelled your name -- so sorry Stof

Username: Shovelhead

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 6
Check out this link Chris. It may or may not help you with your connections ;
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Also Monster has some help available;
http://www.monstercable.com/hookup_learning/csg/default.asp

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 694
Chris there may not be a exact instruction for hooking up cable box or DVR. You have to substitue for the equivalent. Yes for the most part a sat box is equivalent to a cable box. A DVR is really a DVD player with a/v input. So for that you have to consult it's manual.

Generally you make the receiver the brain of the whole operation. Everything is input/output connected to the receiver. Unfortunately you may not have enough i/o ports in your HTIB to make all these work, but for the most part you treat the input of the DVR as another output from the receiver.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us