HTIB Wiring Help!!

Anonymous
I just built a new house, and had some 14 gauge speaker wire dropped in before the drywall went up. I am thinking of purchasing an Onkyo HT-S755DVC system for the house. My question is on how to wire the system after I purchase it. All of the wire has a blue sheathing around it, and I have no clue what the positive and negative anodes are. Do I have to do some trial-and-error splitting when I set up, or is there a sure-fire way to tell? Also, should I consider getting the pins, or just use the straight wire to connect?? I'm lost, and have no clue what I should do. Maybe I should call a pro out after I move in!!

po
If you have access to an ohm-meter (get a cheapo one at radio shack) and some extra wire you can ohm out your built in wiring to figure out which is which. If there are no markings on the wire, that's really the only sure fire way to tell before you hook it up.

In case you didn't know the ohm meter will basically tell you whether you have a closed or open circuit. You'll attach one probe from the ohm meter to one endpoint and the other probe from the ohm meter to the other endpoint. When you find the closed circuit based on the ohm meter you know you've hit the other side of a given wire run.

The guys at radio shack will probably explain it more clearly in case you don't fully understand what I'm talking about.

Cheap ohm-meter will be cheaper than hiring someone to basically do the same thing. Or, even worse, they may not bother and just hook it up any old way which could damage the receiver.

-po

Anonymous
Thanks, po! I'm sure that'll go a long way in helping me. I looked inside the some of the sheathing yesterday, and the wires ARE already split, but just bundled into one neat package. Either way, it looks like I'm still gonna have to use your solution. Thanks again for saving me some pain!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us