I've picked out my system - What if any changes should I make

Anonymous
Well after much research and advice from this board, I've have picked the components for my Home Theater System. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on any single component or on the system as a whole before I take the plunge. Front-Polk RTi38, Center-Polk CSi40, Surround-Polk FXi50, Subwoofer-Polk PSW505, Receiver-Onkyo TX-SR700, DVD Player-DVCP500. Also would like your thoughts on what and where to buy the cables to make it work. Thank you

Scott

po
OK, Polk's are nice but many audiophile types would argue brands like:

NHT, Paradigm, B&W, DefTech, Athena, PSB

are better (and cheaper). The Polk sub is widely considered to be weak as well.

Also, Yamaha receivers are widely considered to be sonically superior to Onkyo. Something like the the Yamaha 5590 is maybe a better choice over the Onkyo.

My $0.02, if I had $2000 to spend (as you obviously do), I'd get

Yamaha 5590, NHT SB2's front, SB1's rear, SC1 center, SW10 sub and any decent DVD player (Panasonic or whatever).

NHT periodically has a deal on the set of 2 SB2's, 2 SB1's, SC1 and SW10 for $1000. Probably about 1/2 the price of the Polk's you're considering and arguably better sounding.

Dunno, whatever, you'll end up with something really good sounding with the dough you're spending.

I would look into NHT and Paradigm at least though as they both are widely considered to be the best bang for the buck out there.

po
I just realized I said "widely considered" three times in my last post.

Gosh, who talks like that? Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a newscaster there.

-po

Anonymous
po is right. If you are spending that kind of money don't settle for circuit city crap... go with B&W, M&K, Paradigm or NHT's. Again, I would agree with Po that you are much better off with yamaha.. sonical difference is debatable but the quality is not... over the past few years Onkyo has had numerous problems... overheating, shorting boards, etc...

PO - You convinced me. I will purchase the NHT speakers. You mentioned that sometimes they run a sale. Can you tell me where's the best place to buy them. LMK Thanks

Greg Lee
There's no reason to buy a sub of the same make as your other speakers. I've heard many good things about the Hsu VTF-2. That's the sub I'd get, if I had the money -- $400-$500.

buy your nht speakers at www.ayselectronics.com.Best price out there for sure.Thats where i got my sb3's!

Anonymous
Now now.

I have the Paradigm Reference Studio 100v2 yet i teamed them with a Polk csi40 center for the simple reason that you just can't beat it for the price. Read the specs on that center and for $299 at Crutchfield (auth. 5 yr warranty) you cannot beat it. It beats the Para studio CC on the floor too (compared the two).

Bob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us