Advice, Please

Username: Benjaminc2001

Post Number: 1
I am trying to wire a house for whole house audio and was hoping for some advice.

First, are there any websites that come highly recommended for basic "how-to" stuff? Specifically, i am curious about options for volume controls and the basic wiring schematics for the various types of volume control.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations about A-Bus w/ a Harmon Kardon receiver vs. say an Elan or Niles volume control set-up?

I have picked the brains of our local Home Theater places, but get mixed signals at each store. They are most interested in selling their products, not what's best for me. One store says A-Bus in unreliable, another says don't do hard wired IR controls, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Son
Unregistered guest
Well i install, design, and consult customers on home theater systems and home audio(through out the house) volume controls are easy and reliable. I hav only used niles and speakercraft brand volume controls. But the only thing you really hav to worry about is make sure the wattage matches up from the speakers to the controls. If your speakers can handle 100w(each) max then its safe to throw a volume control with a power handling of 125-150w's per channel. And remember your receiver has to beable to handle putting out the power too. Any questions juts holla.

Username: Benjaminc2001

Post Number: 2
I have a HK AVR 430, so as i understand it i have the ability to run 2 zones. Having said that, my intentions are to have my theater room (1 zone) and audio in 2 other rooms. So to me...that means i have 1 potential zone that won't have amplification? This is where i am confused? Am i interpreting this correctly? If i need to amplify the 3rd zone should i buy an amplified volume control? If i don't need to amplify the 3rd zone, how do i wire it?

Thanks ahead of time for the input, its greatly appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us