Home theater rookie with some questions......

Username: Rosspbig

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 1
Hello guys,
Ill start by introducing myself. My name is Ross. I am looking at getting a home theater set up. the room i am going to be using is not very big at all, its about 12'x10'. I am planning on haveing a 30 inch widescreen HD tv in there, and i was wondering what i should do about the sound set up. i am completley new to this, so i dont know what i should be looking for or how much to spend. I have heard many terms like 5.1 dolby digital, ect but i havent a clue to what they mean. I want a sound setup that is going to give me good surround sound ect. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Ross

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4711
For about $2500 you may want to take a look at the Outlaw Audio 1070 receiver

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

with Axiom Epic Grand master set of speakers.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/hometheaters.html

The surround format is nothing that you really need to spend a great deal of time looking for, as most receivers and dvd players nowadays are capable of various surround formats. So concentrate on researching your HT/Music wants:-)

For DVD players, research what Pioneer or Denon has to offer. If you are interested, look for units that can play SACDs as well.

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 2
Yeah that stuff is a little more than i wanted to spend. im looking for good entry to mid level stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4717
Now that is out of the way, give us a ballpark figure of your budget.

Perhaps less than $1000?

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 3
Yeah i would say around 1000$ would be my budget.

Anonymous

Ross,

If $1000 is your budget and you are not a HTIB (Home theater in a box) snob (G) you can get a really good system. Get an Onkyo 780 (Great receiver and 7 speakers and 1 subwoofer) for $425 at Circuit City.com and you could even get the new Toshiba HD-DVD player for $499 at Best Buy or Tweeter (out in late March) Buy a upconverting DVD player for $150 to last you till when the Toshiba gets here, ;o). Pick you up a 100 ft. roll of 16 gauge wire for around $30. That's around $950 or so, add tax and you come in a little over $1000. Now you could go with separates and probably put together a great system that way but would probably not be as easy as the one above.

Good luck...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4730
You have a great suggestion up there Ross. You should shop around for a decent home theater in a box.

Check out the Pioneer VSX-1015 for about $500 and the Athena Micra 6 speakers for $300 and you are on your way. For the DVD player check out the Pioneer DV-588A for $130. Use the remaining cash for speaker cables and interconnects that you may need.

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 4
thanks for the suggestions guys! ok here is another question. if a get a home theater in a box, and it already comes with all the wiring needed, then is it immperative that i get new speaker wire?

Anonymous

It's not mandatory to get new speaker wire but I would highly reccomend it. For example, most HTIB come with around 22-24 gauge wire. You should at least get 18 gauge wire and I would suggest 16 gauge for the 780. Anything over 16 gauge is overkill under 50 feet, IMO. You can get 100 feet of Accoustic Research 16 gauge wire for around $30. Probably could get it for less if you had it shipped on the internet. Some people get their wire from Lowe's, ect. Bottom line it does improve the sound especially for $30, ;o).

Good luck...

Bronze Member
Username: Demfourlife

Post Number: 14
Make sure you check ebay when you have decided on the euipment the you want. I buy much of my gear from ebay. Just make sure that the seeler's feedback rating is excellent and that they have a nice long sales history. I purchased a 30' long HDMI cable for $50, 300 feet of 12 gauge wire for $60, a Pioneer 1015 receiver for $400, etc.

Make sure your fronts are top of the line and you can settle for sos o rears. The Dation 12" sub is $120 and the best bang for the buck. A subwoofer is essential for a home theater. I am building mine (http://community.webshots.com/album/526640264LuzePq). Mayble you can get some ideas. Good luck.

This is what I have:

50" InFocus DLP RP (which will hang on the wall)
InFocus 4805 FP (which will hang about 13' from InFocus screen)
Pioneer 1015 Receiver
HR10-250 DirecTv Receiver
Samsung DVD-HD950
Gefen 4x2 HDMI Switcher
JBL S-38II (Fronts)
Athena AS-IC8 8 Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Sides)
Athena AS-IC8 8 Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Rears)
Dayton 12" Powered Subwoofer
6 Bass Shakers Pro (50 watts per shaker)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us