Home Theater Installation Line Conditioning Equipment

Frank1203
Unregistered guest
I've been acting as my own General Contractor for a Home Theater System purchase and installation. With the help of many of you in this forum, I feel as though I purchased what I believe is the right equipment for me which includes: Rotel RMB-75 Power Amp; Rotel RSX-1056 Surround Sound Receiver; Yamaha DVDC950 DVD/CD Changer; Paradigm Speakers - Studio 100 front; Studio 20 Rear PW2100 Sub-Woofer and CC-470 Center Speaker and an LG 42 inch Plasma TV.

I also found a reputable pertson to do the installation as I was a bit leary with having the installation done through local audio stores where I purchased the various equipment. I got some estimates, but just wasn't comfortable.

Anyway - all this brings me to my question. I have the equipment. I have the installer. My final piece of the puzzle is what other items are needed to do the installation? Let's rule out wire and connectors and a Plasma Tilt Mount because thats pretty straight forward, but what about Line / Power conditioning and surge protection? Everyone I talk to tells me something different that I need. All of the Audio Store intallation estimes included a Monster HTS2600 Line Conditioner and a Panamax MIWINWALL Surge for the Plasma. Yet - my independent installer is recomemnding a Furman Line Conditioner and a Monster MP HTS 2000 MK11 surge protector. Help! I would appreciate any input here. I don't have a huge budget for this extra (but neeeded) equipment, so based on the equipment configuration that I described above, what are some good recommendations for line conditioners and Surge protectors? Do I need them? For that matter - what else do I need? The installer will pretty much let me purchase whatever I want, but I don't know what I want or need. Any help would be most appreciated. The installation is happening early next week. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 36
I highly recomend you drop the "power conditioner" BS.

Obviously you need some form of surge protection, and there is nothing wrong with Monsters's HTS line, but you could probably go with the HTS2000 and be as protected as you need to be. There is no doubt cheaper, equally effective kit out there too, just make sure your comparing surge requirements detailed in your warranty (if any) to what product you choose to buy. Good luck, and the power in your house is not dirty! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us