Help!!! What home theater system should I get?

Anonymous
I have a new RPTV (Mitsubishi) and now I need a home theater system w/surround to compliment it. I need a DVD player too. Don't want to spend more than around $800. What would y'all suggest? I have heard good things about Yamaha and Kenwood and Onkyo(but I think their speakers are too big for my liking)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

po
If you want something with small speakers that sounds good check out the Cambridge Soundworks 505 at www.cambridgesoundworks.com

It's something like $699 and is very compact with big sound.

Or check out www.hometheaterdirect.com and look at the middies which are nice, small, very good sounding speakers for something like $499. Add an Onkyo TX-SR500 for $300 and a $200 DVD player (Panasonic or something) and you're at around $900 but have a good small speaker system.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
What is your take on the Yamaha YHT700? and where can I find the best prices on this and others?
What is it that (supposedly)sets Onkyo apart from the others like Kenwood,Sony, etc.?
If I go with components what progressive scan DVD player would you suggest?
Thanks once again

Anonymous
The Cambridge Soundworks definetely have my vote. It sounds better than systems costing 2 or 3 times as much, ie Bose Acoustimass.

I also see many favorable reviews on the CSW's in Home Theatre magazine and Sound and Vision magazine.

Anonymous
The Sony DDW840 is $325.00, you can use the stock wires, it is trouble free and gives Onkyo a real run for the money.
By the way Onkyo raised the price on the HT-S650 to $549.00 the first of the year.

po
I think the Onkyo is set apart simply because it is the best bang for the buck. It's got the fullest sound for $500 out there.

The Cambridge soundworks 505 is a little more expensive. As is the YHT700 if I remember correctly. The Yamaha also sounds very good, if not better than the Onkyo but it is also more expensive if I remember correctly.

Anonymous
If you want a 5.0 system get the Onkyo. If you want a 5.1 system get something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us