Suspending speakers from ceiling?

Username: Timmin

Birmingham, Alabama

Post Number: 1
I am setting up my surround system in my den. I want to hang my speakers from the ceiling to keep them out of the way and allow full coverage of the room.

My current plans are to add small screw-in eye-hooks to the top of each speaker and hanging them with some type of chain. I imagine that 3 hitch points per speaker (in a triangle pattern)will allow me to hang them and adjust them to the proper tilt and angle. I don't know what I will put in the ceiling to attach the chain to yet.

At this point I have not purchased any materials for my project. I would like to see what some of you have done to accomplish this.

Are there any good kits for hanging speakers?

What materials did you find easiest to work with?

Any tips, tricks and/or photos of this type set up will be greatly appreciated.

Timmin

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 26
I just welded a custom ceiling projector mount for $10.00 in steel, compared to $300.00 for the showroom version.

I'm planning to weld up some custom surround speaker brackets as well. Its really easier than it sounds.

You can also buy some speaker wall brackets at about $60.00 each pair.

I would try to secure them solidly to the ceiling instead of hanging them. If they start swinging you may experience a weird sound sensation.

Username: Ecarlson

Plainfield, Il USA

Post Number: 2
I would be concerned about some unexpected noise generated through the vibration of the chain. Maybe wire rope would be better or worse if it acts like a guitar string. I wish I had better answers but i have reservations about the chains for sure. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us