Home cinema set-up with multiple units

Username: Boddies

Post Number: 2
I apologise for the fact that this is probably sucking eggs for most of you, but I'm outisde my field of knowledge here, and in all the threads I've searched I can't find the same setup I have here, and unfortunately I'm not clever enough with this kind of thing to pull all the information thats out there together myself.

Right, having just being coerced by the better half into buying a home cinema system -- JVC THR-3 -- and having spent hours amongst a tangle of leads and manuals, I am sadly no nearer knowing how to get everything to talk to each other.

Previous set up: we had the RF feed from the aerial going into the freeview box, then into the VCR, then into the TV. I also had a scart lead running from the freeview into the VCR, then another from the VCR into the TV. I then had a cheap old DVD player connected via scart lead to the second scart socket on the TV, and then the PS2 connected to the 3rd TV input via its AV multi cable into a scart adaptor. I have no idea if this was the correct and/or best way of doing it, but it worked, and I selected which input I wanted from choosing AV 1/2/3 on the TV remote.

I have now taken out the old DVD player, but I think my problem lies in knowing how to link in the PS2 in order to use the surround sound correctly, and also the correct ordering of units in series.

Details of units and connections (taken from the manuals):

Daewoo Freeview box, with Aerial In, TV Out and 1x SCART socket

Toshiba TV with 3 inputs -- listed in manual as: SCART 1 (RGB, AV) ; SCART 2 (AV, S-Video) ; Input 3 Normal / S-Video, Audio

Hitachi VHS Recorder with 2 x SCART Connections -- marked "Decoder" and "EURO A/V"

PS2 with AV Multi Out connector and Digital Out (Optical) connector

JVC DVD Recorder THR-3 System with TV Antenna In and Out ; Component Video Output Connectors (Y/Pb/Pr) ; L-1 Input/Output Scart socket ; L-2 Input/Output Scart Socket ; Audio Output Connector (L/R) ; Digital Audio Input Connectors (L-1/L-2 Digital Input Coaxial/Optical)

There is a single umbilical connecting the DVD Recorder to the powered Sub-woofer, and all the speaker's connect into the back of the sub-woofer. This is the bit I like -- nice and easy!

THIS IS MY BEST GUESS AT HOW TO DO IT: I'm guessing that the correct order is that I run the RF from the aerial to the freeview, then into the VCR, then into the DVDR, and then into the TV? I also guess that I run a scart cable from the freeview to the VCR i/p#1, scart from VCR#2 to DVDR#1, and then scart from DVDR#2 to a TV scart connection -- the RGB one (#1) ?

But also how do I connect the PS2 to the surround sound. Assuming I get an optical cable and run this from the PS2 to the DVDR.....this just carries the audio right, and so I also need a video connection direct to the TV? Do I do this via the PS2 scart adaptor into TV i/p#2, in which case will that override the optical audio signal, or is there some clever other way of doing it?

Now, if I have the freeview, VCR and DVDR in series, I believe I can record onto DVD from VHS...but how will it affect the channel set up etc and what can I watch/record simultaneously. or do I need to use all three input to the TV somehow, as in the set up described above I still have TV scart i/p#2 spare. Or am I just not allowed to connect the VCR to the DVD full stop?

Just trying to clarify what I need to do properly before going and buying optical cables etc...and if I need to buy anything else I'd rather get it at the same time so I can get it all set up for the kids in time for christmas. Thanks so much in anticipation of your help - and if any answers could use the terms defined above that would be great - will hopefully save me nagging anybody to clarify things for a numpty like myself if you put it in idiot speak!!

cheers everyone, and Merry Christmas

Ian

Anonymous

Having just bought a Home Cinema DVD System Sharp HT-M700H. I have managed to set up the DVD/Tuner and have them play through the speakers however I cannot get my Sky Digital TV sounds to come through the speakers. Does anyone have any idea how I get Sky to play through the system?

Thanks

S.Q.W
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a JVC DVD 5.1 THS-33 system & im having a little trouble getting the surround sound from all the speakers when playing a DVD. IT works fine when im watching the TV but when i try to play a DVD or a normal music CD i only getthe music comming out of the 2 main speakers. I have read the instructions about 10 times & im still no further with the problem i have also double checked the wiring & have been in all the main menu's but am still having this trouble....can anyone help me out a little?

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 13
SQW: Check your DVD's internal menue set-up, is the audio set to "bitstream"?

Anon: directly connect your digital box's audio out (optical) to your receivers optical audio-in.

Ian: Can you post pictures of the backs of your units, I am having trouble following your text... not your fualt, I am just more visual than verbal...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us