To Use A/V Receiver as Video Switch or Not?

Username: Rocket21

Post Number: 1
I have Denon AVR 1906, and not sure whether to go directly to TV or thru receiver. Pros/Cons?

I have Hughes DirectTV w/ tivo(s-video It think, and DVD player (Component video)

Receiver says it upconverts to component video, but does that mean I can connect DVD and DirectTV with any video cable and as long as I have component from the A/V to TV picture would be the same. Or is it still better to do component both ways?

Also one quick question for on-screen display I assume this needs its own video input, i.e. you need to switch video to see display, that is what I have to do now, perhaps if all video switches through the receiver this is not necessary.

Thanks All

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 561
Wherever possible it is always preferable to use component hookup. Upconversion to component from composite or S-Video does not mean you get an automatic improvement in quality from an inferior video patch system. This upconversion feature is there for convenience in order to handle equipment that doesn't have component outputs.

Running all A/V through the receiver makes it simpler to switch sources. Any on-screen displays from all equipment should be seen on the TV automatically. With a receiver of Denon's quality, there should be no discernable degradation of quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us