Yamaha RX-V2500 Video Problem

Username: Jbruno

Post Number: 2
I've had this unit since May and just started having a problem. Here it is.

The video on my TV is now muddy/oversaturated with color.

My DVD picture is still fine (Component from DVD to Receiver, Component from Receiver to TV).

My current hookups are:

S-Video from cable box to S-Video input (cbl/sat).
Component (monitor out) from Receiver to TV.

I have done the following to try and isolate the problem:

S-Video from cable box directly to TV (OK)

S-Video from cable box to different inputs on receiver then component out to TV (No Good)

It appears that something is going on with the S-video transmition in the receiver itself when it is "converting" it to component. All cables seem to be OK, as I have switched them around to test.

Are their any other tests I should do before taking it to a pro? Are their any menu settings on TV or Receiver that could have gotten messed up?

Like I said, this just started happening. However, I do have kids so they could have touched something.

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the unit: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV2500.htm#

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 193
Check your componet cables again.... it dounds like one is "kinda" connected. Is there a tint to the screen? like pink or purple or blue or green?

Silver Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 107
Sounds like there are some trouble in the Yamaha conversion from S-video to component. It can't be the connection since your DVD picture is fine via the same connection, correct?

The only tests I can think of doing is 1. to feed the Yamaha an S-video from a different source other than your cable box. I think your DVD S-video is a good test. 2. Use a different S-video cable just in case. If you still have the same problem then it's definitely your Yamaha's problem. Your Yamaha manual seems to suggest that there's only one choice, either turn on or off the video conversion. It does however recommends you turn the conversion off for THX system...whatever this means...perhaps this is the case?

Any way, I don't think you'd gain anything converting S-video to component. It's only as good as the source. Source is S-video...not much to gain. As far as I know your 2500 does not upconvert. The simple solution is to connect the cable S directly to your TV. Then again, unless you buy it off the internet, the unit is still under warranty. I'd get it fixed. G'luck.

Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 10
What's the point though? Hook the video directly to your TV...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us