Help me finalize my HT plans (7k-ish)....

Username: 3906464

Pascagoula, MS USA

Post Number: 2
I've been talking about a home theater for almost a decade, now, and I've just bought my first home. It's time....

I've been auditioning to speakers at nearby dealers, but there's less selection in the area than I would like.

In any case, I'd like suggestions on areas where I could cut costs, other alternatives that I should really consider, or things I've missed completely (trying to get under $7000). All your help is appreciated.

What I'm seriously considering:
Mitsubishi XD300U Projector with pull-down screen - $2600+$300
Monitor Audio Silver series (S8*2, SLCR, Sfx*2) - $2450
SVSub 20-39 PC+ - $700
Pioneer Elite 55TXi - $900

I've listened to the Mirage 260's, and though close, I prefer the Monitors (quite a bit) for music; I've also listened to DefTech, but prefer the Monitors.

Is there an RPTV or plasma that'll be as nice as the XD300U, or a receiver that will drive the Monitors as nicely as the 55TXi?

I'm thinking I might HAVE to go with the Mirage 260's (I can get that 5-piece set for $1600) simply because of cables.

Thanks for all your help,
-Daniel

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
You might want to consider buying speakers, amplifiers and cables used from a high end store (e.g. Echohifi.com), and buying a new separate processor and progressive scan/Faroudja chipped DVD, all with current technology supported.

I did it, and the sound is wonderful, much better I believe than what I could have gotten for the same money buying new.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 373
Daniel,
I can't address your RPTV question but can say that the combination of PE and MA is perfect. I have the same myself [PE45 and MA silvers] and love it. My recommendation is to buy them ASAP and enjoy this fabulous combo.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 537
Daniel:

Nice choices. as for the speaker/ receiver combo, it is a good one. If you want some thing else to consider, Harman/Kardon is also a very good match for the Monitors, but the PE is quite good.

As for a rear projection TV, I really like the Samsung DLP rear projections, such as the model HLN507W. The picture is absolutely stunning. Also high on my list is the new LCD RPTVs from Sony (the Grand Wega line) and Panasonic. Unlike the older CRT based RPTVs, you don't have to sit right in front to be able to see the picture--these new RPTVs have a very wide viewing angle, similar to a plasma, and in many ways, I think their picture is better than most plasmas.

As for your speakers, I would stick with the MAs over the Mirages. I am not sure by what you mean about "cables." If you mean you think you need to spend several hundred dollars on cables, I can assure you this is not necessary. Copper is copper, and you can get some very fine cables, both speaker and interconnects from Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com). In particular, get their Dayton Audio interconnects which is every bit as good as Monster Cable for about 1/4 the price. I have both DA and MC interconnects--I have interchanged them several times looking for any difference in sound and I can't hear any difference whatsoever. Likewise, on the speaker cables, they sell a house brand called Sound King that is also much cheaper and as good as the expensive stuff sold in most audio stores. I recently bought some unbranded architectural wire from Parts Express for running through the walls (14 gauge, 2 leads) for about $0.30 per foot, or about 1/3 the cost of Monster Cable--believe me it sounds just as good as the Monster Cable I replaced it with.

Another place to save a little cash without giving up any performance is by getting your sub from Hsu Research--I think their STF-2 sub for $399 is one of the finest deals out there for a top notch product. I checked the SVS website and the 20-39 is not a current product, so I wonder where you are getting this item. I thought SVS was direct sales only, just like Hsu.

Pascagoula, MS USA

Post Number: 3
Well, I went for broke....
and I do mean broke.

I got everything on my list, except the 55txi (I got the 53tx instead), and the 20-39PC-Plus (I got the 16-46PC-Plus instead). I also got a Furman PM-Pro-DM line conditioner (2400/20) to keep things clean.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Hawk: SVS is still in business, and their subs are still for sale (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_20-39.htm) - I just got the height wrong; also thanks for the advice on speaker cables - I'll probably be ordering some of those very cables in the morning (for interconnects) - I got a silver serpent with my SVS, but other than that, I got a 100' spool of braided copper 14/3 flat wire from the Lowe's here in town.

As far as video/audio sources, I figured I'd try a few out before I bought anything; I've got a monster PC with a revolution 7.1 audio card and AIW9800, and I'll be running digital coax to the pioneer and DVI to the mistubishi. Also, I've several friends with high-end dvd players that I can borrow to see if the quality goes up, but I'm not expecting any real improvement.

And yes, like all of you, I did what I sowre I wouldn't and overstepped my budget. Then I turned around and kicked it a few times....

From what I hear, I'll be beating that dead horse for some time yet....

Thanks for all the help!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 32
daniel lawrence - how is the monitor audio system working out? i am considering the EXACT same spkr combo. how do you like the 8's in the front? (i'm trying to decide if they're worth the extra $ over the 6's). how do you like the sfx surrounds, and how do you have them mounted? (i'm trying to decide on sfx vs s1 or s2 for surrounds)

Pascagoula, MS USA

Post Number: 4
I love them.
The default balance on the Pioneer managed to be very clear in my room; I got the AVIA disc in today, but I'm not expecting much of an improvement on balance, except for maybe the sub.
I think I could've gone with the 6's in my room, but I'd rather have a little extra than not enough.
Anyway, good luck with it, I'm more than happy with it. Yay.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 33
how do you like the Sfx surrounds?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us