Question about widescreen dvd/big screen

New 2 to the game!
Unregistered guest
When I watch Dvd's in widescreen format am I suppose to have the black lines. It is a HDTV widescreen 46 big screen.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 186
"When I watch Dvd's in widescreen format am I suppose to have the black lines. It is a HDTV widescreen 46 big screen."

If the DVD is anamorphic widescreen and has an aspect ratio approximately 1.85:1, it should fill the screen. An example of such a film would be "True Lies."

However, if the DVD is anamorphic widescreen and has an aspect ratio approximately 2.35:1, which is wider, it will leave some black bars on the top and bottom on a widescreen HDTV. An example of such a film is any of the live action "Lord of the Rings" flicks.

This assumes that your DVD player is correctly configured to display a 16:9 image in its settings.

In the case that you get black bars with scope widescreen films, the only advice I have is to simply get used to it. You are watching the film in the way that it was designed to be viewed, so take solace in that fact. - Reinhart

Username: Head_shot

Visalia, CA

Post Number: 5
You can find the info on the backside of the DVD box, usually under"aspect ratio"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us