PLEASE HELP a home theatre rookie!

Username: Htrookie

Post Number: 2
ok, first off whoever can help me you are a lifesaver!

here goes, I have a contractor buliding my HT in my basement, its all framed and electrical is all done he is just waiting on me to drywall. Problem is I am waiting for a DVI-D cable (30feet) I oredred. I am going to be using a projector mounted on the ceiling, but before he can drywall I need all the cables running through to my in wall components (DVD, Receiver etc) MY question is do I need more cable(s), below is what I have, I appreciate your time in reading this.

I HAVE:
1.)Hitachi PJ-TX100 LCD Projector
2.)Sony high end DVD Player
3.)Sony theatre in a box 5.1
4.)Bell Expressvu 9200 HD/PVR (sat receiver)
5.)Xbox

from my projector to my components is approx. 20 feet.

CABLES I HAVE

25ft S Video cable (do I use from Projector to dvd?

I ordered 30ft DVI-D (project to Sat)

my problem is my XBOX can I run the xbox cables in through my DVD, and use component video button on my projector and it will show on screen? I dont want to purchase another 30 fott cable for my XBox.

my other question is this, how do I hook up AUDIO?? there is no adio hooh up on my Projector, how should I do this.

sorry your probably reading this, and thinking this guy is retard, but I do need help and FAST, the contractor is waiting to do drywall.

I realy realy apprecaite your time and help!

home theatre rookie

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 474
Your problem is not your cables but your receiver. I don't know what model it is, but most HT in box are model POS. You add the fact that it's a Sony and you double your problems.

What you need is a good HT receiver that can become the nerve center of all your devices and manages all the connections. This way all your input devices (CD, DVD, Cable, Sat, xbox etc.) go into their own ports on the back of the receiver and your output devices (TV, Projection unit etc.) are connected as dumb monitors. All the A/V is routed through the receiver and you switch your input and output to watch and play whatever you want onto whatever device. All your sound then comes through your 5.1 speakers. I seriously doubt your HT in a box can handle all these devices.

This way you only need one wire to your projection, and one to each of the devices. If your projector or TV is DVI capable you many want to consider a receiver with DVI ports as well.

Look through Ubid.com. They have good prices on remanufactured Denon, Marantz and HK product. Look at their input/output devices and count your devices. Make sure it has plenty for your needs. Diagram it out so you don't end up with a mess.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 56
So, this Bell 9200 appears to be identical to the Dishnetwork 942, which I own. So, I'll try to help out.

1st, my 942 has HDMI interface for the HD video output, not DVI. I could not find documentation online to confirm what the 9200 has, so this is a concern. Worst case, you will need a HDMI-DVI converter (and space to fit it in behind the DVR/SAT).

Need to know what model DVD player. S-video is not a great choice for the connection to the projector. Component would be better, and DVI/HDMI as good or maybe a little better yet.

A 30 foot run will be pricey, but it's not a good idea to 'cheap-out' on this connection.

Your projector has only 1 DVI input, so if you decide on DVI, you would need a switch. Gefen makes one (US$250).

XBOX video can go into the DVD player, assuming the DVD player has an auxiliary video input. Many don't. You mention using the 'component video' button... that assumes you use component video connections between the DVD and projector (see above).

All audio will go to your 5.1 surround system, not to the projector. TOSlink optical or S/PDIF coaxial digital connections will carry 5.1 from your sat and DVD to the surround unit. Make sure yours has the appropriate inputs.

Post Number: 3
I appreciate your replys. here is what I do have

DVD= sony DVP-NS415 (digital and coax OUT)
SAT= Bell Expressvu 9200 HD-PVR
RECEIVER= sony 5.1 (HT in a box) STR-K740P
GAME CONSOLE= Microsoft Xbox
TV= HITACHI PJ-TX100 LCD projector

I know you guys basically answered my post, but with the above, can you give me step by step instructions getting this all up and running, if you can't I understand, but if you had a few minutes, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 16
I would suggest running HDMI and using DVI pigtails at the ends.

Why?

Because HDMI is where everything is going and if you do not run it now, your upgrade path will be limited in the future. HDMI can carry audio and video and can be more stable over longer runs. This would somewhat future proof your wiring.

I would run ethernet and phone lines, as well. Pay Per View and other services via networks will be more robust in the future.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 57
I hesitate to try and give step by step instructions. It's too hard to do without the equipment and manuals in front of me. You should read the manuals, and ask specific questions after you have figured out as much as you can. This helps you more in the long run.

That said, I downloaded the manual on your HTIB. it shows 1 optical and 1 coax SPDIF input. So, it appears you need to plan on optical from the sat to the receiver, and coax from the DVD to receiver. I downloaded the manual for your DVD, and it does show a video and audio input, so you can run the XBOX thru the DVD as you suggested, but only at standard definition (I believe some XBOXes are HD capable). I agree with Westcott, run HDMI to the projector. However, the DVD does NOT have a digital output, only composite, component and S-video (all of which are analog). So, you need a 2nd video line to the projector. S-video as you planned, or component. Component will require a high quality cable for the distance you plan (read this:https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/123129.html). S-video will be cheaper, and if you decide later to upgrade, then get a DVD player with HDMI output, and use the cable already in place for the SAT.

Post Number: 4
thanks guys for all your time and help, it is muchly appreciated.

I got the credit card out and splurged, and bought a new Denon amp. This machine will make my life much better!

may need more help, stay tuned

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 479

Good move. What model did you get?

Stacy179
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Denon Home Theater System.
AV Surround Receiver AVR-486. Speaker System Pack SYS-76HT and DVD-556. We have all that working. Now I would like to hook up my Philips VCR. I am getting sound but no picture. I have got all the manuals but still am having no luck. Any help would be great!

Username: Head_shot

Visalia, CA

Post Number: 3
Stacy

No picture from DVD or the VCR?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us