Help with HT-S650 Setup

I just received the HT-S650 today as a gift from my wife. I've been reading here for quite awhile now. The knowledge and advice is awesome. This is my first home theatre system, so I'm a genuine (and intimidated) newbie. Here's what I'll be working with:

Toshiba 32" TV - 1 "S" video input, RCA audio input
DishNetwork Sat TV Receiver - "S" Video and RCA audio outputs
Toshiba SD1600 DVD - "S" video and digital/coaxial audio output
Sony Hi-Fi VCR - RCA audio outputs. I have another VCR hooked up to a second Dish recevier elsewhere, so I'll just want to hook up the Sony VCR for playback.

My plan is to connect the DVD and Dish receiver to the HT-R500 receiver via "S" video, and then run an "S" video conection out to the TV.
I'll set my DVD audio out at "Bitstream"; that covers both Dolby Digital and DTS.

Now here are my questions:

If I'm using the coaxial/digital audio from my DVD player, to what should I set the digital input on the receiver?

If someone wants to watch a TV show "The Old Fashioned Way", with audio merely from the TV speakers, is that still possible with these hookups?

Can I set my satellite tuner up as "Video 1" and my VCR as "Video 2"? IF so, is there anything special I need to do?

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated. I know they may seem very simple, but I'm new to HT, and while looking through the manuals while unpacking the system, I went "whoa".

Thanks in advance. Replies either here or via email would be great.

Anonymous
Congrats on the system. I have it too and I love it. To answer you questions, set the digital input to Auto. This will always pick up the digital signal first, and then the analog. To watch t.v. the old fashion way, you need to split the audio out from your dish receiver with one set going to the receiver and the other directly to the tv, but I don't suggest it. You can set any component to any of the VIDEO buttons you want. You just have to cycle through them until you find the inputs you want to associate with a particular button. I know this is lame, but the instructions are in the manual. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us