VOLUME CONTROL "LCD" SCALING

SHY GUY
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know why volume LCD control scale on
most of AV Receivers goes from some minus number
over "0" and than goes into plus number and up.
So what exactly ZERO threshold means.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 207
Good Question

You might wish to copy this post into the receivers thread also in the hope of getting an informed answer.

Many sources have different sound levels, my thoughts are that the "0" and "+" is merely a safety design to let one realize the power levels are getting high. That's a guess!

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 79
It is a good question, if only because the answer doesn't seem obvious. The minus to plus volume level display reminds me of the VU meters on tape recorders. On my old cassette deck, the meter starts at
-20 and goes to +15. Starting at zero and up there's a "red zone" implying the record level is too high with distortion as the possible result. But is this relavant to Shy Guy's question?

I've been reading receiver reviews for a couple of years now, looking to upgrade soon. I've noticed that, in Sound & Vision magazine's reviews that the volume level readouts, for the exact same power output varies from -25.5 to +2.5. Most fall between -4 to -10. There's even variance between the same mfr's models.

So, the question should be why do the minus to plus scheme instead of using a straight linear scale (as on some receivers)?

SHY GUY
Unregistered guest
So I am not sure that question was answered;
If "0" readout on volume is a safe lavel, what is it to be safe there anyway. If anybody can shoot strait answer. It must be a solid reason for MINUS is -50, yet for the PLUS is only +20. It is not equal on both sides of "0" threshold, fine but why.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us