Send me your take on the Kenwood HTB-505 Home Theater In A Box

How do you like your system, are you using the wires that came with it, is the sound good for music, TV, VCR and DVD? Are your speakers on stands,wall mounted, etc.

Thanks

Anonymous
I've had the Kenwood HTB-505 for a week now and the quality of the sound is rich especially the dvd's. I upgraded the speaker wires to 16 gauge Acoustic Research and the same with the subwoofer cable. I did buy a Monster optic cable. Be sure you take the caps off the ends of the optic cable because you will not get any digital signal. I had to have thank Kenwood for helping me out on that one and they do have people to help you out if you have questions. The manual is so so at best. The remote is really nice and I can control my cable box,tv and my dvd with the Kenwood remote.The sound from cable is good. I've found the pro logic II music listening mode to be the best. Prologic II and Prologic only come in the center channel only so I'm not sure if that's the way its supposed to be. Dvd's are great so try the asteroid scene in SW II. Enjoy the Kenwood!

po
I wouldn't take the previous review very seriously. It is written by someone who didn't know you have to remove the caps off the optical cable before plugging it in. Also, the reviewer seems to think the DPLII only comes out of the center channel? If his DPLII is only coming out of the center channel, then there is something seriously wrong.

Anyway, based on many of the long threads around here. Many people seem to like their HTB-505 but many more seem to think that if you can spare a couple hundred more, the Onkyo 650 is worth the extra coin. The Onkyo receiver that comes with the Onkyo system is of better quality than the Kenwood which means you have more room for speaker upgrade in the future.

I know this doesn't help much. When it comes down to it, you really should go listen and audition as many systems in your price range as you can. Then you should pick the one *you* like best.

Anonymous
I love my Onkyo 650, and I knew to take the caps off the optical cables. :)

Anonymous
What caps?

Anonymous
I'm like the guy who wouldn't know to take the caps off the optical cable. I don't even know what an optical cable is. That's why I need advice. I'm trying to choose between a Kenwood HTB 505 and the Onkyo 650. I can get the Kenwood today, locally for about $100 bucks less than the Onkyo I can order on line. The Onkyo has an A/B switch which I'm thinking would allow me to run speakers to another room for music only. But, and I hesitate to ask this question because it shows my ignorance, without the subwoofer in the other room, would the sound be of any quality? If not, can I put a second subwoofer in the other room?

OnkyoOwner
The subwoofer on the Onkyo HT S650 only works with the receiver switched to Speaker set A.
I have the system and have my old stereo speakers hooked to B--these have sufficient base so I really don't need a sub.

There is only one sub out on the back of the receiver---I don't think if it is possible to hook 2 subwoofers to this system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us