Help setting up system for someone new to this

Username: Sosci99

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to set up a home theater system which will also be used for music (probably 50% music, 50% movies) and could use any advice that anyone has. I received a gift of a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX receiver that's almost brand new and would like to build something around it, as I don't have lots of money. I play all types of music, hard rock to classical, and all types of movies, popcorn action flicks to quirky low-budget films. My TV isn't great, but I'm planning on investing in a big screen. I have a Sony 5 disc CD changer (nothing fancy) and play mostly CD's, some radio, and Sirius (have a home kit). I do have a load of tunes on my computer and would one day love to be able to play them on my system, but I have no clue how or whether that can be done so it's not something I'm currently doing. I'm flexible with speaker size and am more interested in great sound for my movies and music than in saving some space. Also, my receiver has THX, and from what I'm reading (and if I'm reading it correctly) I can have extra speakers (6/7) but I think I need another amplifier. Does this make sense and, if so, is that something I would want to do? To give you some ideas on my room size, it's about 18' x 25', but I'm planning on moving within the next year, so I'd like something that would have some flexibility. As for price, honestly I'd like to be as cheap as possible, but with the best speakers possible (I guess we all would like that.) I'm not really sure how much of a difference there is between all the price points, and whether it makes that much of a difference as far as sound. I'm not looking for perfection, just a really nice sound that would allow me to enjoy my music and movies.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I know this is pretty vague and pretty basic stuff for those of you with loads of experience. I really appreciate any help you could provide someone new like me.
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 462
What is your price range?
If it is limited, you may want to go with a 5.1 system, really adequate, considering the small amount of 6.1 or 7.1 encoded movies available. i have 7.1 receiver and I hardly use the 7.1 feature.
Cheap is pretty relative so you may want to throw out a figure there somewhere, so we'll know where to start.
cheers

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,

Thanks for your message. I guess my hope is keeping it around $1000-$1500, although lower is great and higher is possible (especially if I buy over time and not the whole setup at once). I was wondering about the discs available for the 7.1, so I'm glad you brought that up. I thought that one option is that down the road I'd just buy the extra speakers. I was wondering, though, if when people say speakers should match whether that means you have to buy them all at once (kind of like they all were manufactured around the same time sort of thing) or if it's ok to buy them at different times. I'm not sure if that sounds crazy, but I thought maybe there are slight differences in the same speakers based on when they're made.

Again, thanks for any advice you can share.
Bryan

Username: Jtorresseverino

Santo Domingo, Santo Doming... Republica Do...

Post Number: 1
I WISH TO LEAVE OF ACCOUNT

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 466
Bryan,
Check out these speaker packages. Within your price range and one of the better speakers that I have heard and owned.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic40.html
and for $67.00 more these are awesome
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic50.html
and for DTS-ES availability here is a list
http://www.dtsonline.com/home&car/hometheatre/dvd-titles.php

as far as speaker manufacturing dates, it should be insignificant unless there are major changes in design and materials. Otherwise, the quality controls are all in palce and they should be all the same.
cheers

Post Number: 3
Berny,

Thanks for the info and websites - I really appreciate the help. I'm going to check everything out and will keep you posted.
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 367
Bryan,
As a good sonic match with your Elite I highly recommend you check out Monitor Audio's lineup. I have a Elite vsx45 paired with the MA silver series and it's fabulous. For your budget check out the MA Bronze series and I am sure you will find them affordable and a good match with the Elite 36. By the way that's a pretty nice gift.

Post Number: 4
Hi Elitefan,

Thanks for the advice. Two questions: Is there a big difference between the Silver and Bronze lines? And if so, would it be worth it to set my system up over time, piece by piece, and go for the more expensive Silver? This is what really confuses me when I'm looking at some of these speakers. The descriptions make them all seem so great, and half the stuff doesn't make that much sense to me but sure looks impressive (I'm not sure if a Gold Dome tweeter is good, but it sure seems cool.) And as for the gift, yeah it was a pretty nice one. Now if only I had a friend who wanted to give away the Gold series...

Thanks again.
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us