LCD or Plasma

Username: Sammy004

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys I suppose LCD is better but is it true that a plasmas TVs life is only about 5 years? I am looking for a TV that I can hang on the wall but I don't want anything too expensive. What would you guys pick LCD or Plasma.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6409

A plasma will last much longer than 5 years. An LCD can have artifacts in the picture that many people find disturbing. Both designs have pros and cons. Which you pick depends on your wants and budget. Sounds like you might need to find a better place to shop however.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 20
In the case of LCD, is the set a direct view or a projection type?

For direct view technologies, I'm inclined to agree that plasma is better than LCD. LCD still has a problem with refresh that makes it look less natural compared to plasma. LCD has gotten a lot better about it, but it still is lacking.

As for pros and cons for LCD and Plasma, both technoloiges share one con in particular: contrast.

These display technologies are getting better in regards to contrast levels, but they still do not approach the level of performance in contrast found in an old fashioned CRT direct view display.

However, CRT sets are more difficult to get the geometry rendition correct. This is exacerbated with larger sets.

Another direct view display technology I'm waiting to make its debut is LEP, or light emitting polymer. I believe this technology may end up rendering LCD and plasma obsolete whenever it becomes pratical for consumer use as it is highly efficient with excellent image quality. - Reinhart

Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 2
How big are you looking to buy?

How much are you planning to spend?

What other componets are you going to use with it?

That will help determine.

Username: Sammy004

Post Number: 2
not too much like 2000 or less for the tv 42" or bigger.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us