Samsung HT-P50...Help!!

Username: Impervious

Post Number: 1
I just received this today and got everything hooked up. I have a Sharp LC-32DA5U HDTV hooked up to a cable box to receive HD channels. My problem is getting the TV sound to come thru the surround sound speakers. I have the dvd/receiver hooked up to the tv with an HDMI cable. I switched the audio to variable which turns off the tv speakers but I can't get any sound to come out of the surround speakers. Ideas???

Username: Cliffbig

I wish I could offer advice, but I'm having my own sort of problem with the Samsung HTP50. I've hooked it up to a brand new Toshiba 62" DLP unit via HDMI, and it won't work. I get two seconds of picture (during which time the front of the HTP50 displays the word "menu" or the time count on the DVD, depending on what the DVD player is doing), and then two seconds of blank screen (during which time the HTP50 displays 1080I on the front LED display). Can't get it to work. I even tried using an HDMI to DVI converter, since the Samsung 841 works fine with this television, but the DVI does the very same thing.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to make this work? My goal was to eliminate the 841 and have a single unit that does all--sound processing, HDMI, etc.

Jess Nelson
Unregistered guest
I got the same problem, I've tried two separate ht-p50s on two different Toshiba DLPs (I just got the 72HM195).

I'm sure it's a compatability issue between the Samsung and Toshiba...I'm a bit bummed, becuase the idea of the p50 was a good one, all in one upconverter, good enough to get by before HDDVD or Blue Ray becomes the standard.

Unregistered guest
Same problem: I just hooked up my HT-P50 today to my Toshiba 52HM95 and I get about 2 seconds of video, 2 seconds of blackness. The sound is continuous. Any solutions?

Username: Cliffbig

Post Number: 2
I wish I had a clue. I called Toshiba and their customer support was arrogant and unhelpful; I called Samsung and their customer support was non-English-as-a-first-language and clueless. I'm considering having Toshiba come out and at least tell me officially that one or the other is not supporting HDMI standards. I tried exchanging the Samsung, but the new unit has the exact same problem. I also tried using an HDMI-to-DVI-back-to-HDMI pair of converters, but the same two-seconds-of-signal, two-seconds-of-blanking occurred.

Username: 5aszdale

I got the same system for Christmas; my TV is a Tohiba HM-84 DLP; works fine with composite, S-video, or component, but if I try to play DVD with HDMI cable connected, will get the 2 second ON/OFF BS happening; sound is OK. Tried hooking up my Brother in laws new Sony DVD with HDMI out and it works OK with my TV (with both cheap, and expensive (Monster) HDMI cables. Will try to get in touch with SAMSUNG (canada) to see what they say; looks to me like it's a compatibility issue with SAMSUNG/TOSHIBA. Anyone else out there with different brands of TV's have the same problem??

Username: Tim_in_la

Los Angeles, CA US

I am having the same problem as Impervious -- I am using the same tv with the HT-P50. I can't get the tv audio to play through the HDMI cable through the digital in on the Samsung. Given the stories here, I think the unit is going back to the store.

Username: 5aszdale

Post Number: 2
Hey Tim I, the reason you're not getting any audio from your TV is because (I'm assuming) you're not inputting any audio back to your HT-P50; the way you currently have it set up HDMI out to HDMI input of TV is only good for playing DVD's. In order to get audio with your TV stations, just connect your audio out from your TV (Red and white composite will be enough) to the AUX. input of the HT-P50. Then, all you have to do is select Aux. 1 or 2 on the Samsung remote when the TV is on and you should be OK.

T-pup

Username: Locob

Tim:
Another method that will give you 5.1 sound from the TV is to use the digital optical imput on the HTP-50. You must have a digital optical output port on your TV and then run an optical cable to the HTP-50. If the TV broadcast is in 5.1, you'll have it from the HTP-50. I am using this method with a SONY HDTV and find that only some high-definition channels broadcast in 5.1. When they do it's amazing!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us