Component video connections???

Username: Larrybob33

Post Number: 2
how important are these? was comparing two similar receivers, but one doesn't have any video component inputs or outputs. how does that effect the system? are you still able to watch TV in surround then? thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 124
Larry,

Component inputs/outputs on a receiver are mainly a convenience feature. You're able to switch video and audio inputs through the receiver because of this feature.

Alternatively you can make direct component connections between video sources and the TV, bypassing the receiver. The audio cables would still be run through the receiver. Under this scenario, you would have to switch video inputs using your TV remote and switch audio inputs using your receiver remote. It's one extra step, but you get the same results, including watching TV in surround.

Hope this makes sense.

Username: Larrybob33

Post Number: 5
thanks for your help. does it make a difference in re. to hd-tv??

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 125
Makes no difference with HDTV. Some folks believe that the extra video switching through the receiver actually degrades the signal, but I haven't noticed a difference in picture quality either way.

Anonymous

I'm not sure Larry and Two cents are connecting here. Larry, I believe you are talking about Component video, the red/green/blue connectors, not regular video and audio as I believe Two Cents is thinking of.
Larry, most of the HDTVs out have one or two Component video inputs, leaving you short if you have alot of equipment. Of the receivers that have Component video switching, many don't have enough bandwidth for HD, others are OK, check the specs. You need 100MHz bandwidth for 720p/1080i. The ones that have the right bandwidth, and more than two inputs tend to be costly, so you might consider running all your component video and digital audio sources through a switch like these:
http://www.zektor.com/home_theater.htm
There are others, but over at AVS Forum, the Zektor seems to be highly regarded as top notch.
Hope I understood your question right.
Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us