Need help on my stereo hookup to tv (cant find my other post)

MakingSure
Unregistered guest
I know this is basically a double post but I can't seem to make my first post appear...so I guess I'll just ask again.

I have a TV with A/V IN jacks, but no OUT and a coax connection...also have a VCR with both A/V IN and OUT. Wanted to know if I could run the basic cable coax through the VCR, run cables from the stereo to the A/V OUT on the VCR, then run cables from the A/V IN to the TV's A/V IN and get stereo sound? Thanks a ton in advance for the help.

MakingSure
Unregistered guest
Just checked every post from today and couldn't find my first, BTW...so hopefully anyone who answered the first one can answer this one as well.

Username: Juvenile

Canada

Post Number: 5
Umm from what I recall you have to run A/V OUT on VCR to A/V in on TV, the way you said it, you have your connections mixed up.
I'm a bit confused at what you want to achieve, so tell me, you want to run your coax cable into the vcr and then from the vcr use cables to get stereo sound for cable?

Username: Telecommander

PA

Post Number: 9
One thing that would clear things up here is asking if you have a home theater-type receiver or just a plain old 2-channel stereo. (I assume you have one or the other.) Another would be to ask if you're using a cable box. Here are some options.

If you have no box and you're using a 2-channel stereo:

1. Cable company's line runs from outside into the VCR's ANTENNA IN coax input.

2. VIDEO OUT (RCA jack) from VCR goes into VIDEO IN on TV.

3. AUDIO OUT cables run from VCR to
AUX (or TV/DBS) input of the STEREO. Running the VCR audio directly into the TV just gives you sound through the TV speakers. And that's not what we're shooting for. To get stereo sound from the stereo instead of the TV, you'll have to bypass the TV completely since it has no outputs to send its audio to the stereo. Drawback is that you'll have to leave your VCR on all the time.

If you have a home theater receiver:

Same procedure, but run the VIDEO and AUDIO OUT from the VCR to a VCR input on the receiver.

With a cable box, take the output of the box into the VCR and follow steps 2 and 3 above.

That, at the least, should get you on the right path.

MakingSure
Unregistered guest
It is just a 2 channel stereo...and no cable box, just out of the wall.

And yeah, since I think it is the only way to do it, I want to use the VCR to pass through so I can have stereo sound. And I did list the connections correctly; the TV has an AV IN and thats it, the VCR has AV IN and OUT. Thanks again for all of the help.

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
I have a stereo TV with front video in jack and two audio in jacks. I'm also using a cable box. I have a surround sound receiver. I understand there is a way to run the TV through the VCR to get TV sound through my receiver. Does anyone know this hook up procedure?? Any help would be appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 544
telecomamnder just covered that didn't he?
Unless your TV has audio outputs then you can't plug it in to the receiver. If your VCR has them, then you can hook it up to the receiver, if not, then you are now in the market for a new home theatre.

Still Frustrated
Unregistered guest
Yes, he did cover it but wasn't very clear to ME when he explained the cable box connections...
I've had it hooked up before so I know it can be done. I did mention I know it has to go through the VCR as I know it CANNOT go through the TV. I guess my question remains.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 547
Okay then...now, I take it the TV does have some sort of audio/video output?
but usually this is the set up :
CABLE BOX ---> TV (output)--->(input)VCR (output)--> RECEIVER

or

CABLE BOX --> (input)VCR (output) --> RECEIVER
whereas, video feed into the TV is via video out of VCR
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us