How do I get Dolby Digital from digital cable box to receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 34
When ordering a movie through digital cable, I'd like to get it in Dolby Digital. What connections do I need from my digital cable box to my receiver in order to get these movies in Dolby Digital?

Username: Notsobright

Post Number: 4
Dolby digital can be carried by either digital optical (toslink) or digital coax cable. run either cable from the output of your cable box to the input on the back of your receiver. im not sure if you gonna get DD, personally i havent done it, you might just get Dolby prologic 2.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2536
He might get neither. If he doesnt have HD-cable, it probably wont be 5.1 capable either. In all but the rarest cases, only the HD channels broadcast a 5.1 signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 35
If that's the case, then I will continue to rent the movies at the store and not from my digital cable supplier.

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA HDTV and an RCA Audio/Video Receiver. I was able to use the Receiver for all sound and control the sound through my Cable box remote.
I connected Opti cables and set the receiver to Opti and disconnected all the audio cables. The sound is superior but I no longer can control the volume through my cable remote.
Did I screw it up (as usual) or did I just miss something?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 38
Sandy, that's normal. When you hook up the optical cable, you essentially are using the "raw" digital data from the cable box, bypassing its digital to analog circuitry -which also controls the volume.

Looks like with this new setup, you have to use the receiver remote to control volume

Username: Darkestfuryan

S-Field, Virginia USA

Post Number: 2
Hey i dont know much but i do know that u dont need hd service to enjoy 5.1 from ur set top box. I have a directv tivo with Optical 5.1 output via and optical cable. I do not have Directvs high-def package however i do know that all of the premium service channels, and some of the programs on the local channels broadcast 5.1 and i get them in 5.1 now this might just be a sattilite thing, and cable may require you to subscribe to their high-def package, again im not sure. However i do know that you can get 5.1

hope that helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us