HT-S650 versus Kenwood HTB-505

Anonymous
Please post your satisfaction with the product if you own either of these systems.

I had the Kenwood HTB504, which was the predecessor of the 505. I was very happy with it initially, but it died on me the third day I had it. I returned it and was planning to buy another one. In the interim, I heard about the Onkyo. I knew that Onkyo was one of the premier names in receivers, so I went to CC to check it out. The accoustics in the store were horrible, and the salesman had no clue what he was doing with the set up. In fact, everything sounded lousy in the store. Anyway, I took a chance that the Onkyo would sound better at home. I wasn't disappointed. I like the system tremendously and I'd recommend to anyone.

As you've probably read, you will have to upgrade the cables, but that was also the case for the Kenwood system. The Kenwood did have a better remote control. It also had a phone input, which I would have liked. (I'm not sure the 505 has a phono input. If you interested, you better check.) The Onkyo has a better subwoofer. The speakers, however, are a bit big -- especially the mains. That is a problem to some people. Bear in mind, however, that the Onkyo speakers are better constructed than the Kenwood. Onkyo uses better materials for the cabinets and the drivers.

Anyway, my recommendation is the Onkyo. I believe the receiver is much better engineered. For listening to movies, I give the Onkyo the nod over the Kenwood, though I was happy with the Kenwood until it crapped out. The Onkyo is a good value. CC had it for $499 at the time, so I wound up buying it at SoundCity for $434 delivered.

Good luck!

Anonymous
I also have the Onkyo HTS650 and will definitely recommend it over any unit in the under $500 range. I paid $399 from SoundCity and couldn't be happier.

Anonymous
You wish you get it for $399.00 brand new. The refurbished models go for $399.00

Anonymous
Um... actually you can. I just called soundcity and got confirmation on this, you have to pick it up though ($434 delivered).

Jim Anderson
Let's get one fact straight regarding the Onkyo 650. The speakers are made in China just like all other manufacturers. Onkyo is not a speaker manufacturer. Poly cones are actually cheaper to make than well designed paper composite cones. Most famous manufacturers, Boston Acoustics for one, use composite paper cones in their drivers. So lets not assume that the speakers in the Onkyo system are somehow automatically better than the paper in Kenwood. Kenwood is one of the largest manufacturers of auto speakers so they ought to know which Chinese company to choose to built their speakers. Unfortunately, anything under $1000 probably uses speakers more closely aligned to auto speakers than true audiophile standards. Onkyo makes fine amps, although they do price fix their equipment to give it an extra snob appeal. I own the Kenwood HTB 505. I paid $350.00 and am quite satisfied for the money. All this discussion about who makes the better speakers is bull. No one makes their own and only laboratory testing of them would answer which is the best for the money. This is the key "for the money". All In One packages give and take on componets. Only the manufacturers know where they've cut and they aint talking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us