Kenwood VR-6050 with Bose Acoustimass 6 series III?? (Long)

Jet
I'm having difficulty figuring the best way to connect the Bose speakers to the Kenwood receiver to achieve 5.1 surround sound. Due to my limited budget, I have not yet purchase the two large Front speakers so I have been using 3 of the acoustimass speakers for the front with one of them the center and two for the surround sound in the back but I'm not getting surround sound even when the receiver says it's on. To clear things up, 5 of those little acoustimass speakers are directly connected to the Bose subwoofer and then there's a cable from the sub that splits the wires to the appropriate terminal on the receiver. The wires are clearly labeled (Right, Left, center, Surround Right, Surround Left and SUB). When I connect the Surround Left and Right wires to the Surround Front "A" terminals of the receiver, I don't hear anything from the surround left and right speakers. But when I connect the wires to the Front "B" terminals...I get sound but I'm not sure if it's surround sound. Can someone tell me how to setup the receiver so that it can have surround sound using Front "A" terminals? I have everything ON for surround and have even chosen Dolby Surround option in the DVD's that I played but I still don't get sound with Front "A" terminals.

First of all you wouldn't buy two fron large speakers: for home theatre speakers have to be "the same", meaning thay have to have the same dynamic, so 5 bose satellites are perfect. Then after all u have the new subwoofer that with serie III has become powered. Any way why didn't u buy the AM10?

settings should be:
6 ch amp off
LEFT FRONT LARGE
RIGHT FRONT LARGE
CENTER FRONT LARGE
SW ON
SB OFF
SUBW REMIX ON

Then connect the DVD to the receiver using a DIGITAL OPTIC CABLE. same for CD if it has one, otherwise just use the RCA connections.

Nothing else. this way u should have 5+1 blue speaker icons on the display of your receiver.
Then of course everything depend what kind of source you are playing.

Music (from CD, TV) is stereo, so by default the receiver should select STEREO, and then you will hear only the FRONT LEFT, FRONT RIGHT and SW (and only 3 white icons will be on under the blu speakers: L, R and SW). Using the LISTEN MODE handle you will be able to choose among several other listening mode: DOLBY PRO LOGIC, CSII, etc. These are a kind of matricial filters that try (I say TRY) to cut some frequencies and send them to the back surround speakers, but this is not real surround. same with DSP modes (ARENA, JAZZ, etc.), which try to emulate an ambience using all the 5+1 speakers.

If you want a REAL surround sound you need a REAL surround source, so for the moment either a DVD or a movie from the digital satellite. This way you will see on your receiver either DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS (depending on the label on the DVD). When the source is really 5+1 you will see 6 white icons on the receiver: L, F, C, SL, SR and LFE. LFE means (if u have connected the BOse sw to the pre out from the receiver) that the sw is receiving the correct surround sound.

Hope it helps. Write to my email if u need more help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us