Onkyo HT-650 -- Dolby Digital Help

Sure hope someone can give semi-educated rookie some advice. Followed reviews and comments here and elsewhere and ordered my 650. Refurbed unit from Onkyo Direct. Hooked it up to my year old GE Digital DVD with A/R optical cable, S video direct to TV and bought some Monster XP to make cables.

Don't understand what it is doing with some DVD formats. I get both Dolby Digital and ProLogic 2 lights on most DVD's. I know it gets Dolby Digital in some cases (Matrix DVD), but bought one that claims to have Dolby Digital and DTS just to make sure it worked and I still get Digital and ProLogic 2. DVD is set to line out sound and audio compression range set to off.

Does this sound normal, or have I got something screwed up,or is there maybe a problem with the receiver (or the DVD?)?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan
I had the same problem when I first hooked up my old Toshiba DVD to my Onkyo. I had to change a setting on my DVD so the output was DTS/Dolby Digital.

I would check your DVD player first to make sure the output is correct.

Anonymous
I would go to the DVD player setup. Most of the players have a setup menu, that allows you to specify if you have connected your player to an external receiver.

It would then ask you to specify the formats that your receiver is compatible with.

After setting up all this, you can simply connect the digital out from player to the digital in of the receiver, and make sure that you are using the standard sound option on your receiver for watching a movie. This will ensure that your receiver starts decoding the audio signal properly. Some receivers provide you Advanced surround option, it will work, the way receiver circuit was designed, and not as how the movies was recorded.

One last thing, before playing the movie, I would go to the Audio setup or Language menu on the dvd and select the audio I want to use (Dolby 5.1 or DTS), if this option is available for the dvd you are trying to watch.

ANY HELP?
I selected the DTS option on a couple of DVD's on my JVC DVD player to the HT-R500 Onkyo receiver and got squat for sound. It only works when I select 5.1 as an output from my JVC.

Is there a compatability issue in decoding, is there a set up feature I am missing or does it not work properly?

nyokie
Unregistered guest
look in the setup screen of your player not setup of disc try it without one in player
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us