First time system...HELP!?

Unregistered guest
I am leaving college, getting married and moving off to begin work. I've had my current system through the last six years of school and want to begin upgrading. I currently have a TEAC AG-8060 receiver and a pair of Bose 201 speakers I bought as a poor high-schooler.

My wife and I are mostly interested in home theater for DVD's and TV. We are buying a Sony 51" television soon as a wedding gift to ourselves and I don't want it to be lonely.

I've read through many forums here, and I'd love to buy the paradigm speakers everyone loves. The problem is we don't have thousands to spend right now. I'd like to start with something I can afford, but continue to upgrade as time passes. Any suggestions for a good starter system (speakers and possibly receiver) around $700? The more specific the suggestion the better.

Yeah, yeah, I know...not possible. Humor me?

Unregistered guest
I found the JBL SCS160SI speaker set for $400 (no tax or shipping). What do you think? Now I need to find a receiver in the $300 dollar range. I've been looking at a few Yamahas (RX-V630 & HTB-5650) between $300-350...would that be a good match for the JBL's?

MAxxy54
Unregistered guest
You can get the Onkyo 601 for a really low price on the web. ~$300, which would make your buget. Not sure about the JBL's but the Hsu Ventriloquist package is a good buy for HT.

Unregistered guest
Thanks! I've been looking at the Onkyo 601 online. I saw a post in another forum by a guy that had just bought it three days ago from Circuit City for $359 (sale's over now), but I can't find anything that good. The best I've found is $399 so far. I'd prefer not to buy refurbished or used (bad past experiences). Any more ideas?

I've been on the web researching this nonstop for three days now. My wife REALLY wants me to decide...

Anonymous

Take a look at www.ecost.com Just watch their ads closely, some things have free shipping, some do not. Shipping was fast and everything was working properly.
They currently have a Kenwood VR-7080(in stock and new) and Yamaha RX-V640(doesn't say refurbed but it might be as it only has 90day warranty) for $350(free shipping, $4.95 handling). I am by no means an expert, but I'm happy with the refurbed Kenwood 6070 just purchased from them for 199.00.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us