Center Speaker

Username: Terkar

Post Number: 1
I am looking to get crisp clear dialog from movies on tv and DVDs. Is it possible to buy a good receiver and center speaker, with nothing else? I don't care about surround sound just want good dialog.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3688
That's monaural or simply mono.
Just turn up your TV or get a stereo receiver and you'll get your dialog. It will be cheaper.

Username: Terkar

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny but I have a new Samsung HLR 5063 and while the speakers wsork fine, I was hoping a good center channel would clear up the mush dialog that seems to come with all new films these days. No problem hearing gravel crunch underfoot, car doors slam or music, music,. music. Oh for the days when dialog was center stage and music along with other noise was in the background.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3709
Is your DVD player set to stereo output?
Try going the analog route, your dialog will probably be much clearer.

Unregistered guest
Terry, I have the same issue as yourself. I even had my hearing checked since I was having difficulty picking out the dialog over the music. I balanced the room and purchased an expensive amp that could adjust small and large speakers. I found out that my hearing is very good. The problem is that hearing everything can be a distraction. I purchased the deftech clr center speaker and a $100 bose center speaker. For music I plug in my front l and r def tech 2006 in front and have great sound. For movies I leave my rear speakers plugged in and I have spliced my center speaker into two centers. One small bose right behind my head and the deftech above the screen. You don't need deftech if your not into music and top of the line. I get the surround effect by leaving my rears plugged in, but the dialog is perfect now with the bose behind my head and the deftech center in front and the two front side speakers off. You could go as far as unplugging the 2 rears sides as well to get all dialog and some surround. The speakers and amp don't need to be top of the line. The clr and center bose being split is just perfect for myself, my wife also agrees that the mushy dilog is gone and she enjoys the movies much better without the overwelming fronts speakers and overwelming music and bombs.... I could dial them down also, but for myself I prefer to leave them unplugged and set on music and only use them for music so I don't have to fiddle with the amp as much. Let me know if this helps or if you have found another solution. Thanks Craig
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us