New HT system speaker recomendations

CB
Unregistered guest
I have been reading on this site over the last couple of days and getting some good info from all of the varied posts. I am on a tight budget and have been up in the air between the Onkyo 601 and the HK AVR230. It looks like I can get the AVR230 for about $370 delivered and I am leaning in that direction. I am going to go into CC and give them both a listen. The room I am going to be setting up is 16x24 vaulted ceilings going up to 14 ft with the system setup on the long wall so seating will be 10-12 ft away. Are there any thoughts as to good ceiling mount spoeakers for the surrounds, we have small kids and I don't think speaker stands would work and the back wall of the room will be mostly glass. I would be concerned about mounting speakers on the wall between the windows, would the curtains interfere with the sound performance? Are there budget speakers like the Fluance line that are worth getting? Should I just by the L and R mains and save for the other parts of the speaker system? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 428
first off, let's start with the budget. What are your preferences, bookshelves, towers, micros?
The HK AVR 230 is an excellent receiver and not difficult to match with various speakers.
With such a room, I would use tower speakers, as the small ones tend to be drowned out in all the space. And yes, curtains would definitely affect sound.

Username: Littleyama

Post Number: 9
What receiver would you guys suggest for running Polk Audio LSi 9's? Thank you!

Username: Littleyama

Post Number: 10
Also, Can you mount LSi9's (Polk) on the wall with brackets? Or is that a bit of a stretch?

Thanks guys!

CB
Unregistered guest
It looks as though I am going to upgrade the receiver to the AVR 430 (we are planning on building a new home in the next couple of years and I liked the A-bus feature of this system for whole house audio). I am leaning towards building the speaker system a little at a time, easier to get it by the wife in bits and pieces than all at once. I would like to look at towers for the left and right mains. The current budget I'm using now is going to be $300-600. Does it make sense to get towers with powered subs built-in and forego the seperate sub? Less clutter in the room for the wife to deal with as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us