Recomendations

Username: Bolker

Post Number: 1
I read through a lot of posts here and none really answered what I need.

I'm starting from scratch in audio. I have a 60" Pioneer rear-projection TV. I want to set up primarily for DVDs, but I'd use it for music some too. I'd love a way to hook into my computer network to play all my MP3s as well.

I'm very technical so I don't mind components, but I just have no clue what's good today for the money. I'd spend up to $1500 as the total price, but I'd love to get away for $1000.

Anyhow, I need:

-- Something that hooks to a computer network that would allow me to play MP3s or other audio
-- Amplifier (surrond 5.1-7.1 No receiver needed right now)
-- DVD player
-- Speakers (bookshelf for the front is the only requirement; lots of room for center speaker and subwoofer)

I have a cathedral ceiling in my theater room, and I plan on mounting the rear speakers around 6 feet off the ground on the rear wall. Stands are fine too. But I guess I'm saying there's a lot of room there to fill with sound.

Ron

Unregistered guest
First I'll start with the speakers. They are going to be the most important. With a room of that size you will definately want speakers that can fill it. A small pair of bookshelves is not going to cut it. You may want to consider cabinet or floor standing speakers if space permits. I would check out Polk Audio. They put out an amazing speaker for a good price.
Second, the DVD player. I would have to say go with Denon. They are revolutionizing DVD playback technology and are starting to use what was once only used in broadcast equiptment that cost $60,000.
Third, the Amplifier. This is a tough call without knowing more about what you want to do and how you use it but, again Denon might be the way to go.
Fourth, MP3 playback. The cheap way - Monster Cable MP3 kit, sound card, PC remote, and software of choice to organize your MP3s. Meedio software is gaining a lot of attention.
Fifth, Price. If you are planing on getting it all for under $1500, I recomend spending at least 50% on speakers. They are the most important. 20-25% amp, 15-20% DVD 5-10% PC Connection. I hope this all helps in your decision. If our site can do any more for you check us out:

www.digitalhsolutions.com

Good Luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us