Need help with HD receiver/home theatre configurations

Username: Trische

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 1
I need some unbiased help! Please bear with my lack of knowledge and my frustration. First, a bit of background: it took Direct TV subcontractor installers two days to hook the HD dish up to my TV. I didn't ask them to hook up the home theatre system as I had already paid Best Buy to come out and do that. Well, today the BB guy came out and said he wouldn't touch the system because he didn't like the way that the sattelite system had been connected to the TV and was afraid of liability, etc., etc. So I started reading the manuals from the HD receiver (Samsung model SIR-TS360/XAA), the home theatre system (Yamaha YHT-160)and the TV (Westinghouse [please don't laugh]model LTV-27w2) to see if I could handle this as I've certainly done my share of stereo systems in years past. But the various connections and cable choices have me confused. First of all, do I try to connect the Samsung to the Yamaha and then the Yamaha to the TV? If so, that seems problematic as the Yamaha doesn't seem to have a DVI-HDCP jack. By the way, I'm not getting a great picture on the TV and the guy from BB indicated that was because the current connection from the HD receiver to the TV is not a HD cable but rather a S-Video cable plus a RCA cable (red/yellow/white). I believe I can hook the DVD, VCR, and CD to the Yamaha without much trouble, but I'm really struggling with the basic issues of connecting the HD receiver, home theatre receiver and TV. I know this will seem very elementary to most of you on this board but I would very much appreciate any help you can give me. Thanx. Trische

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 15
Hi,
Your Samsung HD receiver seems to have a "Selectable Output Format: 1080i,720p,480p/i"
Which format are you currently using?
The specs. also say it has S-video output (which is not the one you want for HD), but also DVI (more popular digital HD connection), Component Video (YPbPr) which is an analog connection of high quality and it's ok for HD, and RGB+HV, the same connector you see on the back of PC monitors.

Your Westinghouse monitor does support both 720p and 1080i HD resolutions, so you should have a choice in that respect.
It also has plenty of choice in the Video input department: Video in aka Composite, S-Video In, YPbPr in, DVI and HDCP.

I recommend you buy a DVI to DVI cable, and connect your HD receiver to the TV using that cable. You will probably then have to tell the TV about it.
This kind of connection (directly from HD receiver to TV) obviously bypasses the Yamaha receiver, but will give you the best connection possible.

Altrenatively, if you really want everything to go through your Yamaha, you could buy 2x component-to-component cable (YUV to YUV, aka YPbPr to YPbPr): the cables have three wires each, color coded Red, Green and Blue: Red goes in Pr, Blue goes in Pb, and Green goes in Y.
With one cable you can connect the YPbPr output of the Samsung receiver to one of the YPbPr inputs on the Yamaha, and with the other cable you connect the YPbPr-out on the Yamaha to the YPbPr-in on the TV.

I know your Yamaha setup: I have the RX-V357 receiver, which is the Yamaha receiver you have got, but without the speakers (I got Tannoy speakers instead).

There is more to it than this, but I hope I can get you started in some direction.

Don't hesitate to post back.

Bronze Member
Username: Vexhold

Post Number: 17
PAtricia--

Could you please desribe what yer instilation looks like... It worries me that it took them so long and the comments by BB. HD DTV can be a bit tricky to install and I know they like to throw jobs to whatever contractor is in the area despite the fact if they know how to do HD or not. Also... Did you opt to go with the seperate off air HD antenea?

This is what you need to look for...

on roof...
3 LNB eliptical DTV dish w/ 4 cables coming out back looping and then going down arm. Cables should be ran down house in the LEAST visable manner...

Entry point...
All 4 cables should come down to a ground block (2 metal peices that hold 2 cables in and 2 cables out + each should have a ground wire going to an approved ground) The 4 cables should be looped on both sides of this ground block (loops prevent wter from damaging conections)The 4 cables should then enter the house and be sealed with silicone.

Inside...
Depending on how many tvs you have in the house you may or may not have a multiswitch..
a multiswitch is a somewhat large box that has 4 inputs from dish and anywhere from 4-16 outputs to go to tv's this area should be VERY clean and fixed to a wall or ceiling. Each TV needs a dedicated line from the entry point. NO SPLITTERS!!! It may work right away but it WILL go bad after a while.. and may cause perminent damage to reciever.

AT TV....
I feel the Samsung HD reciever is by far the best they have.. feel lucky you didnt get the Hughes(yuck)
Cables should go..

Coaxial from wall to reciever.
DVI from reciever to TV
S-video/RCA from reciever to Yamaha
S-video/RCA from Yamaha to TV
RCA from reciever to Yamaha
RCA from Yamaha to TV

Ok sounds confusing but let me explain..

Not all of yer viewing will be in HD so you only need to switch over to the DVI when watching HD.
All other tv watching can be viewed by a standard connection. (And nobody is laughing at yer TV cause thats not causing the problem.. its the Yamaha thats throwing a wrench in the flow.. It doesnt have the capabilities that the other 2 components have so if I upgrade anything its that..)

Hope this helps...And If it looks like DTV did yer job half assed....MAKE THEM FIX IT!!! Itll be free if you havem do it now... 75 bucks later.

Username: Trische

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 2
Thank you both very much for all the information. I have a much better understanding of the connection flow now. Vexhold, I sent you a "private message" email with scads of detailed answers to your questions and additional questions of mine. Did you get it? If not, let me know and I'll try to resend...since it was sent via this website, I hope it hasn't been lost forever. Please let me know. My email address is trische2@aol.com.
Thanx again to you both for all the input. Trische

Bronze Member
Username: Vexhold

Post Number: 18
Patricia---

I just read yer email and I must say... they screwed ya... DTV..not BB.

BB was right in not touching it due to thier strict instalation guidelines.

Ok... where to start...

1st of all DO NOT BUY ANY CABLES YET!!!! The Samsung SIR-TS360 shouldve came with a standard DVI cable.. He either didnt want to hook it up or wanted to stash it in his truck to sell on ebay or a different job..

As for the wiring.... This is how it SHOULD be...

Dish on roof=====> ALL 4 cables connected to dish ======>cables run to wiring room.. and depending on how many other rooms you have connected you might need a multiswitch.. if its less than 3 then..(for example)

cable#1-HD TV
Cable#2-Bedroom 1
Cable#3-Bedroom 2
Cable#4-Kitchen

But if you have more it would be...

Cable#1----MULTISWITCH ----HD TV
Cable#2----MULTISWITCH ----Bedroom 1
Cable#3----MULTISWITCH ----Bedroom 2
Cable#4----MULTISWITCH ----Bedroom 3
***********************----Kitchen
***********************----Den
***********************----Garage
***********************----Game Room

The way they have it set up with only 2 cables connected basically means all the TVs in the other rooms are on a SPLITTER..bad news.

And you did save yerself a lil time and basically the look of yer houses exterior by pre wiring..but the system must be grounded.. which more than likely cant happen with the cables yer builders used..DTV uses cables that have a ground wire attatched to it. And I know they didnt run a dedicated ground line from the dish.. that wouldve been a huge job.

As for the antennea for off air HD channels I wouldve recomended either an attic or rooftop antenna but if yer house was prewired then you more than likely dont have a 5th cable coming from up there huh? lol

NP...there a bunch of options left.. you can get an indoor powered HD antennea... or there are antennas that can be mounted on the side of the house somewhere... prices range anywhere from 15-200 bucks depending on what bells and whistles you want.. I would suggest going to BB ( grin an bear it.. they were in the right lol) and ask them 1st--if they know where the brodcasting towers are? and 2nd what antenea they would recommend for your situation?

But above all... Call DTV and demand that your system be properly installed..and maybe even compensated for your time..they pushovers for customer satisfaction ratings..just dont talk to basic DTV morons... ask for HD morons..lol

Any more ?'s feel free to email me...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us