Small surrounds to be mounted on the ceiling ...

Username: Stuhoo

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 1
I am new to this forum and was hoping for advice for a new 5.1 or 6.1 audio system ...

We have recently moved into a new home, and I am planning to upgrade our HT setup. The room is 16'X 18', with one open side, windows along two sides, and a 10' ceiling.

I am looking for musical front speakers, either towers or good quality bookcases for listening to classical music and classic rock. I have space for a subwoofer and a quality center speaker.

My problem is that I have no place to put the surrounds, except on the ceiling. I am therefore looking for small dipole or multipole speakers to be mounted on the ceiling as surrounds. I am having a problem finding a matched system that meets these requirements and was hoping to get some suggestions. Most systems with small surrounds are in the compact satellite category and also have small front speakers, which aren't the best for listening to music. My total budget for speakers is $1500-$2000.

Thanks!

Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 9
Hello J.,

Have you considered getting some quality in-walls for the front as well as the rear? The biggest problem with using different speakers in the front and rear is matching the sound. In other words, you want the voice coming from the rear speakers to sound the same as it does coming out of the front speakers. If you mix & match speakers, they're bound to sound different. I've installed hundreds of these systems, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. If you choose an in-wall speaker system, then get identical speakers for every location (except for the subwoofer, of course).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us