What projector to buy for a restaurant?

Username: Griddy

USA

Post Number: 1
I am remodeling a small cafe in upstate NY and I plan to show movies once or twice a week. As you can imagine, there are some unique issues involved. I will not be able to control sound absorption very well as I need floors that are easily cleaned and take very heavy foot traffic -- I have planned for wood floors. Any recommendations on how to improve sound quality? Should I put fabric on the walls? I don't want a hulking rear projection tv taking up valuable space so I am looking at a ceiling mounted front projection tv. But I am VERY limited in the amount of money I can spend, at least initially. I plan on buying used/refurbished only. If the movie-showing idea takes off and my business is adequately profitable, I can always upgrade. I have been searching eBay and there are lots of projectors out there but which brands do you recommend I keep my eye out for? I am not aiming for the top of the line stuff -- what modestly priced projector will do a decent job for the average customer? I have absolutely NO experience with home theatres -- I am a baker and a future cafe owner! HELP! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 61
If you were to show movies at a bar, that constitutes as "public performance" of an entertainment movie. With technicality in mind, that would be illegal and might be something to think of before you go any further with your planning. Just a thought...

USA

Post Number: 2
I guess I should have made it clear that I do not intend on charging customers to watch the films. It will be perfectly acceptable for folks to come in, watch the movie, and just leave. Of course, I will host Dinner & a Movie night but dinner will be optional. Please tell me that isn't illegal!

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 62
Doesn't matter if you charge people or pay them to come to your restaurant, if you read the fine print with the big FBI statement at the beginning of a movie, in a nutshell, it states that it is illegal to publicly show a motion picture movie with or without charge on the premises of a profit generating business. I am simply pointing out the facts for you, nothing more.
The MPLC was formed in 1987 specifically to support the blossoming home video industry. With the advent of home video, people began showing movies everywhere: daycare centers, oilrigs, fitness centers, hotels, and training sessions. None of these uses were legal according to the copyright laws. The only way to be granted permission to show a home video, outside of the home, prior to 1987 was on a title per title basis.
In 1987, MPLC was formed as an independent licensing service exclusively authorized by major Hollywood motion picture studios and independent producers to grant Umbrella Licenses to businesses, nonprofit groups, and government organizations for the public performance of motion pictures contained within prerecorded home videocassettes and videodiscs.

USA

Post Number: 3
So, all the restaurants I've been to that show movies are breaking the law? Can a license be purchased (for less than a million dollars!)? I think I am willing to take the risk. Thanks for the warning. But, other than the legalities, do you have any suggestions re: the projector?

USA

Post Number: 4
Doesn't ANYONE have any other useful suggestions? As a complete novice in electronics, I am in desperate need of knowledgeable advice!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1927
Ingrid,
You might have better results if you post your question on the projector discussion page rather than here.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/15132.html

USA

Post Number: 5
Okay, thanks for that suggestion Paul. I will try posting there instead.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us