Can get ProLogic, but not 5.1

Username: Daniel_sullivan

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 1
I have a Daewood DVD Player (P480) connected via Optical Cable to an RCA Receiver (rt2250) and the standard array of five speakers and subwoofer. I had perfect 5.1 surround sound when playing DVD's, and the Receiver displayed the word "Digital" to prove it. This past week, I disconnected everything to move into a new house. Now, only "ProLogic" will appear on the Receiver's screen and the sound is NOT true 5.1. It seems like the Receiver is not getting the information that the disk in the machine is capable of 5.1.

I have adjusted settings on the DVD's themselves...no luck. I have experimented with every setting I can find on the DVD Player and Receiver...no luck. All sound things seems to work fine, except getting the 5.1 sound.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1657
Assuming you reconnected the cables correctly, you'll need to reactivate DD and DTS in your player setup menu. You might want to revisit your owners manual to make sure you arent missing the menu option.

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 2
I am almost positive the DVD player is set correctly. I have been thru the menu and manual a million times. Also, I have just noticed that the DVD player has a little Dolby symbol on the screen when I play DVD's. Could this mean that the DVD player is sending the 5.1 signal, but the receiver is not getting it?

Anonymous

Check that:

1 - You have mapped the correct digital (optical/coaxial) input in the AVR to the output from the DVD player
2 - The DVD player is securely connected. Sometimes cables break or becomes dislodged at the connector
3 - You indicate in the DVD player output settings that it should output a digital bitstream or whatever the equivalent setting indicating a non-PCM or analog down-mix
4 - You do not use a DSP/surround mode on the AVR which overlays the input signal with something else

Kansas City, MO US

Post Number: 3
From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU! It was comment #3 that was the problem...

Sound is perfect now. Many, many thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1679
Hey, that's exactly what I said in my first response.
HEH

I said to go into your DVD player setup menu and be sure to activate DD and DTS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us